Argentina Open Polo

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Argentina Open Polo Buenos Aires Reviews

toshofbarra toshofba…
Oct 16, 2007
For Anyone in Argentina in November and December try and get along to see some Polo.. yes I know.. Polo. Its not everyones cup of tea (especially me as a working class football fan) but if you can see the best in the world of anything you shouldn't let the opprotunity pass you by.

So it was a few years ago (2001 actually) we found ourselves in Buenos Aires and happened to meet an American guy who had played Polo there. He mentioned there was a tournament on so with nothing else to do we charged along with only a slight incling that Argentina has a reputation for Polo. Luckily we had this lad to explain things to us but even without any knowledge here was the rich and beautiful of Argentina in their natural habitat and at of their most coveted events.

So it turns out the game we went to was a semi-final and pretty high standard as explained by the handicap system. The tournament is teams put together by fabulously weathly people, so the richest guy generally has the best team. Their is a grading system for the players.. -2 is just got on a horse and 10 is Pele, Zidane, Maradona type guys of which I was told there was only about a handful in the world. With 4 players per team, -8 is lowest and 40 is maximum theoretically possible. The first game we saw had 2 teams of around 36 v. 37 so this was top quality stuff and was just a great experience (for I think US$10). Now a very top tip is to gate crash behind the main stand after the game where there was lots of freebie stalls giving out beer, drinks and perfume/aftershave testers..great for thirst smelly travellers!!

So we returned the following week for the final which was even higher standard I think it was something like 37 v. 38. The game went to a golden goal.. followed by pitch invasion and carrying the winning captain on shoulders around the place.. just brilliant.

I can't guarantee goalden goals or repeat of the freebies, but the tournament is on in Nov/Dec. See link below. Enjoy if you get along.

johnbb says:
great blog, you sold it to me.. shame i won't get there by then.. maybe next time..
Posted on: Oct 16, 2007