Arequipa

Arequipa, Peru

Arequipa Reviews

sepilokfui sepilokf…
Suburb of Yanahuara + Perfect Photo of El Misti Jul 24, 2012
Visited Arequipa in May 2010.

Arequipa is probably the city which represents Peru colonial past the most. Lima is too city, Qosqo is too commercialized, Arequipa fixes the Peruvian thirst. I could have stayed here for months like another home. Not too high in altitude, just nice and breezy with easy walking city street. Have a nice cup of coffee for a break in a cafe. Yes, that is life in Arequipa. Okay, back to the tips.

Tip1, The suburb of Yanahuara - There is a walking guide in Lonely Planet but I got no clue. So, I waved a taxi, for 3Soles, it went west on Av Puente Grau over the bridge. Then, it was up hill and up hill, I was glad. I was dropped off at a small plaza. This is where the Mirador with an excellent view of Arequipa and El Misti, the best you can get.

Tip2, Arequipa food - As I walked back to downtown along Jerusalen, there are many ice-cream shops and restaurants on the way. Of course, never missed the ice-cream. Also, the most famous Arequipa dish ... Guinea Pig it is!!!

Tip3, Monasterio Santa Catallina - Everyone will come, but please make sure you have a cup of coffee and a piece of cake in the cafe inside the monasterio. Read something, it is really quiet in there that you might get some awakening. When you do your tour around the monasterio, not long before exit, there is a 2nd floor platform - you can catch a clear perfect view of El Misti here too.

For all and all, I shall be back to Arequipa. I like this city too much!
destinymaybe says:
Where did you stay? I am going in a couple of months and looking for a nice hostel
till i can find a apartment.
cheers lorraine
Posted on: Sep 08, 2013
sepilokfui says:
Hi Jon, I felt the same way. Spent 2 weeks but want to go back for a month. :-)!
Posted on: Jul 24, 2012
northlight says:
If I go back to Peru one day, I will definitely visit Arequipa. Unfortunately I only had time for Cusco, Lima and the Inca trail on my first visit.
Posted on: Jul 24, 2012
Sylvie1 Sylvie1
Sep 11, 2007
Arequipa is a beautiful city. This is a great place to stay. You can always see beautiful cities, but I think I found Arequipa the most beautiful city according to architecture. I also had some great pies there, with lots of chocolat. Arequipa had very good shops for people who like souvenirs. The city itself is made out of white, vulcanic stone and is beautifully representated in almost everything. The cathedral of Arequipa is also very beautiful, but the most beautiful of all is the main place. We saw some very great things in Arequipa, like Vulcano Misti or just going to see the streets in the city. Arequipa is really worth the visit.

Related Travel Blogs About Arequipa

Arequipa - Part 1!
We arrived in Arequipa late on Monday evening (althost into Tueday morning) after a long and winding road from Nazca, although it is fair to say that the views of the huge waves r…Arequipa and the Plaza de Armas. The next day, we set about exploring the historic City of Arequipa
The White City
The cab ride to the hostel was almost as interesting as the bus trip as when I tried to show our cabbie the address he told us he didn't have his glasses (that's one ill-prepared cabbie if you ask me…Arequipa Backpackers) has to be possibly one of the best hostels I think I have ever stayed in, pool…
The White City (Arequipa) - an introduction
This journey through Peru turned out to be filled with ghosts from my past. In highschool I had written a report about the Inkas and Machu Picchu and now I had seen it myself. Years ago I had read…Arequipa feel themselves autonomous from Lima (as a souvenir, you can by an Arequipena passport). Arequipa has big shopping…

Check Arequipa Hotel Deals