Arena

Verona, Italy

Arena Verona Reviews

sparkleshark sparkles…
Perfect venue for opera or music Mar 18, 2011
Visited it first for a Stevie Wonder gig, which turned into an amazing experience for the packed Arena.

The acoustics are brilliant, so is the crowd and the vibe of the place ...
Alonsocano1 Alonsoca…
Luxury Apr 10, 2011
Awesome place, such an beutiful city and did not want to leave.

Very easy to navigate around and the food is brilliant anywhere you go!
Dr_Seuss Dr_Seuss
Verona Arena Jul 10, 2010
I'm no culture vulture, but from when i first saw the Arena, on a short stopover in Sept 2009, the idea of going to the opera here caught hold.

Because of the ferries from Croatia not sailing on a Saturday, we had an extra day in Italy, and I knew I wanted to go back to Verona.

If I was ever going to be able to do opera it would be here. A whole season during the summer, set in the Roman ampitheatre,dating from about 3AD,makes it hard to find a hotel in Verona during the summer.

When I looked it up, found out Carmen was on the night we were there. My wife likes opera, so I would be scoring some brownie points as well, and it would be another different experience for the kids.

Booked the tickets online, and went for the second cheapest, given that there were four of us going, and they were still €27-50 each, plus fees and charges, so in all it was €132.

Booking from abraod meant we had to pick the tickets up on the night of the performance, and we went down at 6pm and had to queue for 20 minutes to get the tickets. Went for a quick bite to eat, as the girl in the ticket office advised to arrive early when the gates opened at 7-15.

If you look through the whole Verona Opera Season, you'll notice the starting times vary depending on when the sun sets.

Walking up to the Arena you find all the sets for the other productions they are ding that year lying about in the square outside the Arena.

We got there about 7-30pm and there was already a big queue. Once in it was pretty haphazard, as people looked to find a place to sit on the steep terraced rows. I'm anything but a fan of overly pedantic Health & Safety culture in the UK, but here I was thinking you just woldn't get away with this at home. It was pretty precarious as people tried to squeeze by you.

Once in we realised we'd missed a trick, as loads of folk had brought in their own picnics and bottles of wine and cans of beer. You could get stuff inside, but it was extortionate, €5 for a 330cl can of beer.

The terraces gradually filled up, and the start was signalled as the great and the good started to take their seats in the good seats in the middle of the Arena.

I found the production quite spectacular. Must have been nearly 300 cast members on stage at times, and at one point there were 6 horses. Not the sort of stuff you get in a theatre at home.

Each act lasted about 45 minutes, and there was a 15 minute break between each, where you can get out of the Arena.Used the second one to go out and by our own drinks from a shop acrosss the square. Still not cheap, but a hell of a lot less than it was inside.

As an experience it was superb. Sitting on a hot balmy evening watching such a grand production.Still not a convert to opera though, and I could have missed the last two acts, I only knew some of the tunes in the first two, and despite my wife telling me the story, I still didn't get where we were supposed to be with it, and I probably spent more time taking in the surroundings in the latter part than I did on the music. Ignorance is bliss ;-)

Don't know that I would do it again, but glad I did as it's a one off type of experience, well for me anyway :-D
Verona Arena
Gig Tickets
Gates open
Stage Screens
Gandul Gandul
Aug 03, 2007
The Arena, or the "Verona´s eye" is and old amphiteatre fitted out to modern spectacles. Here takes place the world famous Verona´s opera festival. Every summer, four or five operas are represented in this old-fashioned stage. Verona´s Arena is world famous for all opera lovers, as here some great figures had brightful successes in their careers, including the international debut of Maria Callas.

Even if you aren´t a opera fanatic you will enjoy an opera ACT in Arena. Prices are affordable, views (in and out) are incredible, and the ambient is unrepeteable.

I suggest you to buy in advance through internet, but once you get there you´ll get impressed of the majestic of the scenery. Inside, there are two different atmospheres: the rich one, with their seats down the floor, just in front of the stage, and the common one, with sits on the grades. I reccomend you last one, not only the cheaper but the more real. You will really enjoy the tipical mediterranean ambient. For a spanish couple like us, it was like being at home enjoying a concert or a match.

Also, in the common ambient there is no need to save your best outfit to get there, as you will find all kind of people inside: from entire families (children included) to grandfathers with their spectacles. All around the grades there is official vendors offering cold drinks and libretos. Although this mixtures of ages, nationalities or even interests, everyone guards an respectful silent at the begining of each act to enjoy of the music: Opera is a loved tradition here.

You can also bring your own dinner or drink, and it wasn´t unusual to see people having a sandwich or a piece of fruit during interludes. We saw eve a couple uncorking a champaign bottle (Verona is a great place for celebrations). Most experienced people even brought their owns cushions to soften the cold and hard rock of the grades.
Outside of the Arena, with atrezzo…
Just before the start of Nabucco
A detail of nabucco
mn4262 mn4262
Jan 01, 2007
L'Arena di Verona è un anfiteatro romano presente a Verona.Assieme alle figure di Giulietta e Romeo è considerata l'icona della città veneta. È il terzo anfiteatro romano per dimensione dopo quello di Roma - il Colosseo - e di Capua; è sicuramente fra i meglio conservati.

Related Travel Blogs About Arena

A Night At The Opera
Would love to say I awoke gently listening to the muzak being piped throughout the ship from about 6am, but I could sleep through an earthquake, and have done on Rhodes, though in my defence it was o…Verona Arena, but living overseas they wouldn't post the tickets so I had to take the print out of the confirmation…
Visiting the Arena di Verona and Castelvecchio fortress
Following the road that will lead to Rome, Peter the driver whisked us away from Lerici where we had spent quite an endearing time drinking wine for breakfast and eating fish at each meal. We headed …Verona was the arena. The Arena di Verona is the third largest arena in Italy, and you should not pass…
Verona, the town of Romeo & Juiliet!
Verona, the famous town, where once Romeo and Juiliet lived. Everybody knows their sad story about the impossible love between two young people who love each other, but their rival families wouldn't …Verona to meet some friends here and together attend an opera performance in the famous Arena de Verona, a roman…

Check Verona Hotel Deals