Aregay Restaurant

Aregay Restaurant - Zigni here at the Aregay Restaurant

Aregay Restaurant Keren Reviews

DAO DAO
Not Worth the Trouble Feb 14, 2017
This simple restaurant and bar used to get high praise for its excellent food. Its specialty was Capretto (Roasted Goat). When I dined here they had only a few dishes available and no other customers. They only have a menu in Tigrinya, but I managed to ask for virtually every Eritrean dish possible before the word ‘Zigni’ was greeted with a smile and trip to the large and clean kitchen. Zigni is made with either (lamb, goat or beef cooked in a hot berbere sauce and served with injera. When it arrived I had no idea what the meat was. It was tasteless and the sauce tasted like water. The injera was stale. I tried to order a beer. No beer. Gin? No Gin? Raki? Yes.

I didn’t even finish my meal. This is another casualty of a crazy government system that has cut tourism by more than 50% over the last few years. Chances are with it hotel closed, that this will close soon as well. The excellent Fickri & Selam restaurant in less than 100 meters away on the Giro Fiori. I went back and to my hotel and had a lovely meal at the Sarina Hotel Restaurant. I ordered Zigni again and you can see the startling difference.
Zigni here at the Aregay Restaurant