Areela

Check Tirana Hotel Deals

Areela Tirana Reviews

LeotheProducer LeothePr…
My stay at Hotel Areela Apr 22, 2015
So my stay in Albania was quite interesting. I was told the double room that I booked was the hotel special. The lobby was small and quaint; newly modeled, yet still loyal to the Albanian heritage. The staff was warm and friendly and spoken English fairly well.

The room itself was a decent size but just a bit chilly when I got there, so I pumped up the heater. The unit didn't get the room nice and toasty to where I like, but it knocked out the chill that was hovering in the room. The balcony was small yet nice despite the view being covered by a series of old apartment buildings, back patios and a plethora of wet laundry. However, I later discovered that I had to share my balcony with the hotel staff because they use my balcony to dry laundry and cleaning rages. So the staff had to come in and out of my room to gather up laundry each day. I'm a pretty easy guy to get along with, so I didn't mind the laundry thing as much as the reconstruction that was going on in the very next room at 8 in the morning. The banging, scrapping and clanking was constant for the first 3 days of my stay. Each bang of the sledge hammer sounded as if they were about to come through the wall.

Moving into the bathroom, it was quite different than what I expected. The sink & toilet were the typical small European style which I am use to. However, the shower was 3x3 flat sink that was set in the floor with a shower curtain draped around it. No matter how carefully you try to shower, you're going to soak the floor. Not to worry though, because there's a drain in the middle of bathroom so spray away at your heart's content. Just be careful not to slip when you're stepping out.

The Internet was a major issue for my room because the walls and thickness of the metal doors totally drowned out the signal for my room. So in order to connect to the WiFi, I had to leave my room door open - which was completely uncomfortable, especially when other guests came down the corridor. I had already been getting the points and stares from the moment I arrived, due to me being a Black American, but now I was really advertising. Good thing I dropped a few pounds before my vacation, lol!!

The hotel itself is just off one the main roads, and the city center is just a five minute walk away so. So there's a lot of shops and restaurants that are just a short walk away. However, be extremely careful when walking in Albania. The traffic is quite crazy and extremely dangerous. Most importantly, DO NOT give to the beggars and pan handlers any money!!! I warn you, please do not give them money. I know it sounds crude, but I had to learn the hard way. If you want to learn more about my episode, please see my Albania blog.

Other than that, the hotel value was ok for what I paid. Not great, maybe be below average, but it was not that bad. If you're pretty easy going, you'll be okay staying at this hotel. If you're nitpicking or your standards are pretty high than I would not advise you to stay here. Happy Travels kiddos! ;)
In the Lobby of Hotel Areela
The dinning area
In the Lobby of Hotel Areela
The stairway - I hope you packed l…
trippin_jen says:
3 stars despite all you've mentioned? hmm...
Posted on: Jul 19, 2015
gingerbatik gingerba…
Areela Hotel Sep 05, 2014
We found the hotel in Albania is really cheap and good value for money compare with other Balkan country. This time we book it through internet again to make our life easier and do not have to go around knocking door to find a place to sleep, and it only cost €28.80 for two people including breakfast and tax, which is a steal I thought.

We choose the hotel closer to the bus station since we plan to go to Skopje Macedonia the next morning. Unfortunately we made mistake and it appears Tirana city has many different bus station around the city, but luckily we managed to find the bus closer to our hotel and the young male receptionist speaks English well, friendly and really helpful, he gives plenty of information. It seems all buses depart mostly from in front of the travel agent shop where you purchase the bus ticket.

The hotel is a wee bit walk to the centre of town and sights in Tirana but not too bad, around 15 to 20 minutes’ walk maybe. I managed to walk around the city and check the sights even though I do not like walk much. Plenty of local café, restaurant, and mini shop selling water next to the hotel and we get our water bottle from the shop which is really cheap, cost less than €1 for 5 litter of water bottle.

Our room was ready when we arrived late in the afternoon and it is located at the second floor at the back of the building with window facing the back of the local restaurant downstairs.

The room is spacious with one double bed and one single bed, one night dresser, cupboard, desk and one chair nearby. The television work well but only has local channel (I only test the television to make sure it is work just for the sake of this review). The air condition is in good working condition. The bathroom was interesting – it looks new but very basic, since no glass shower at it and the floor get wet after shower. Unfortunately no towel hanger inside the bathroom – so we need to put the towel at the desk which located right next to the bathroom and within easy reach, otherwise we will flood the floor in the bedroom.

The wifi is terrible, the connection is really bad and I have to go out the door and stand in the hallway to get the connection. Once connected, I can go inside and stay close to the door to get connection, otherwise no internet at all. However, the internet connection was good downstairs near the lobby area.

The breakfast served downstairs behind the reception area. It was pretty good with bread, fried egg, chocolate croissant, tea or coffee.

When we check out the next day, we are able to leave the bags at the reception area free or charge and explore the city. One strange thing about this place, when we come back to get our bags, the reception was off having late lunch and the cleaning lady was there to look after the building and she locked the front door so the guests cannot go in or go out and have to ring the bell.
bedroom
bedroom
bathroom
hotel building
tj1777 tj1777
Sep 05, 2014
We choose the hotel since it is located right next to the bus and train station in Tirana - which we assumed would be a great advantage when arriving and departing from the city. Unfortunately it turned out that the buses we were using were not actually departing from the nearby station but from two different stations further away from the hotel. Hence the location wasn’t quite as convenient as we had expected when booking but it is close to the main street in Tirana as well so it is a short walk from the hotel to all the attractions in the central part of Tirana.

The hotel is located in a tall building and when we talked to the manager it turned out he and his family had build the building back in the days and they had sold off most of the building only keeping the first floor as a family run hotel. Back when they did this about ten years ago tourism in Tirana was virtually none existent so they had imagined the rooms they had would be more than sufficient for a little family hotel and they could get some foreign currency this way. Later tourism has picked up and the hotel actually do run full frequently during the high season - hence they have tried to buy a few apartments in the building so they can provide apartments with random locations in the building. We went after the end of the high season so there were still lots of rooms available for us.

The hotel is in a side street close to a couple of the main streets in Tirana - so there isn’t much traffic passing below the hotel and the rooms are quite despite the central location. The room has got pretty much everything you will expect from a modern hotel room including television, a desk and a chair in addition to the mandatory bed. There is also and air-condition in the room to help with the hot early September weather down in Tirana. There is also functioning Wi-Fi in the room so you can get on to TravBuddy during the visit if you can’t wait till you get back home.

The bathroom isn’t the biggest I have ever seen but it is functional and different from when I first visited Albania back then I never saw such luxuries as a shower curtain in the bathroom. And fortunately everything in the bathroom seems to be working so it does its job for a night.

In the morning there is a breakfast included down behind the lobby and the food is decent making sure you leave the hotel with a full stomach before your explorations of the city.

We were supposed to leave for Macedonia in the late afternoon so we had to check out of the room and we needed to store our luggage at the hotel which we could right behind the front desk so we could go out and explore for the last day in Tirana.
The desk and television