Arc de Triomphe

01 56 68 90 00

Arc de Triomphe Paris Reviews

mdfehmel mdfehmel
Paris Must See Oct 15, 2014
The Arc de Triomphe often conjures up mental images of the iconic photo from WWII when the German Army used the landmark as a slap in the face to the French as they used it for its intended purpose; that of a launching point for armies on triumphant parade. Of course, this isn't quite what Napoleon had in mind when he commissioned its construction. Now a staple tourist attraction, the Arc is the hub of 10 major roads located on Place Charles de Gaulle in the heart of Champs Elysees. The Arc is accessible via an underground tunnel network and costs less than 10 Euros to go up to the surface. Located under the arch itself is the French tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The trip to the top of the monument is quite exhausting and stairs is your only option. I'm in good running shape and I had to take a couple rests on the way up! Once you get to the top, however, the view rivals that of the third deck of the Eifel Tower since 99% of the buildings in Paris are only a few stories high. I enjoyed the Arc and would recommend it as an item on your "must-see" list.
At a cafe in front of the Arc de T…
Arc de Triomphe, Paris.
Stairs to the top of the Arc de Tr…
Top of the Arc de Triomphe, Paris.
FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
Its in the Arc Oct 01, 2012
I guess this is one Parisian Monument and tourist spot which needs no introduction.

After my disappointing walk along Champs-Elysees (my expections prior to this trip was way more exciting with all the Parisian chic in mind but it was too overcrowded - it was a saturday evening) that I just wanted to clear the walk and reach le Arc de Triomphe.

I must admit, I did not read much about this Parisian Monument prior to my visit. My general understanding was that it is a symbol honouring those who had fought and died for France. I therefore expected to see names of French generals or soldiers or anything depicting French victory. I saw what appears to be a lot German names though..

Perhaps, I would understand better if I had bought a tix to take a tour of the Arc but of course I didnt. So nevermind that, the Monument is still beautifully constructed, grand and not to missed!

The underpass linking pedestrians to the Arc & the metro stinks of pee though ;)
Le Arc et Moi ;)
The underpass stinks of pee!
The tomb of the unknown soldier & …
nimic nimic
Arc De Triomphe Jun 23, 2011
Arc De Triomphe is another Famous Paris Landmark that you shouldn't miss!

For those of you who doesn't know, it was built between 1806 and 1836. It's older than the eiffel tower!

The Arc de Triomphe stands at the centre of the Place Charles de Gaulle, also known as the "Place de l'Étoile". It’s located at the western end of the Champs-Élysées.

I took the pictured from far. You can admire the arch from below at the ground level - either on foot or while you’re window-shopping on the Champs Elysees.

The top can ONLY be reached by climbing up its 40 stairs. But before you get to the stairs, you have to get to the monument itself

There's an underground tunnel on the Avenue de la Grande Armee side of the circle. You can access this tunnel from the Wagram exit of the Metro.
spocklogic says:
You forgot to mention to hold your nose 'cause it smells of urine there. Oh, was really bad when I was last there a couple years ago.
Posted on: Jun 23, 2011
Vipin Vipin
Nice arch! Mar 01, 2010
Standing as one of the most famous monuments in Paris, the Arc de Triomphe pays tribute to those who fought and died for their country in the revolutionary and Napoleonic wars. A tomb of an unknown soldier also lies beneath the vault. The arch is decorated with various scenes and allegorical figures. There are also various engravings on the arch, including the military leaders of the French revolution, as well as the various French victories.

Apart from the political and historical detail, the monument is very beautiful and just catches your eye nicely. The Arc de Triomphe is very near the Seine and is worth visiting at night as well as in the day, as the monument is lit up beautifully. Worth seeing.
Ashley5 Ashley5
Arc D'Triomphe Nov 06, 2009
The Arc D'Triomphe is a 165 feet tall memorial in Paris, France. To reach it we took the metro, then went through an underground tunnel, to get to the Arc. I would never recommend trying to cross the crazy traffic, that circles it. We got driven around the Arc several times, and I have never been so scared for my life, cars seemed like they were going everywhere. Our driver actually told us less wrecks actually happen there though, due to everyone being so much more careful. The Arc D'Triomphe is also home to the grave of the unknown soldier. Then you can climb to the top for a spectacular view of all of Paris! This was my favorite view of the Eiffel Tower. You can look all the way down the Champs-Elysees. Be sure to take some time to watch the circling traffic below you for a while. The price to climb to the top is well worth it for this view of Paris.
cmwish cmwish
City of Lights indeed! May 11, 2008
H and I were hungry and tired as we strolled down the Champs Elysees one night. We agreed we needed to sit down and eat but we were so easily distracted. When we got to the Arc de Triomphe I was surprised to find out we could go to the top. Where did we get the energy to climb all those stairs? It was worth it. We gasped at the view and our hunger and grumpiness vanished.
Inside Arc de Triomphe
travelman727 says:
Great review! I agree, the view from the top is well worth the EXTREME effort :-D
Posted on: Mar 12, 2008
Kathryn Kathryn
Great views of Paris day or night! Jan 02, 2007
The biggest triumphal arch in the world the Arc de Triomphe stands at 161 ft. (49m) high. It stands at the center of Charles de Gaulle-Etoile - The star with which Paris' busiest traffic circle surrounds and the Champs-Elysées runs into. Thankfully to reach it there is an underground tunnel (DONT try to cross the traffic!)

Historically the arch has remained a centerpiece in Paris since its completion in 1836. Napolean's remains passed under it on its way to his tomb at Hôtel des Invalides as did Victor Hugo's. Images in history show the Arc with Nazi's in World War Two and during the liberation of Paris in 1944. The small area at the top has a room of photos of the arc's history.

The view from the top only rivals that of the Eiffel tower. There is an elevator or the winding stairs (which we took) to get to the observation deck. We were able to get nice shots of the Champs-Elysées, the Eiffel Tower and the Basilique du Sacré-Cœur.
The Arc de Triomphe
The stairs to climb to the top!
Our shot of the Eiffel Tower from …
mskadu mskadu
Dec 01, 2007
This is a beautiful monument that is free for everyone to admire.

You can take the lifts or the the stairs to the top, but that costs you money.
Eric Eric
Apr 12, 2006
The Arc de Triomphe is located at the center of a huge, circular intersection of at least seven streets. Rather than risk almost certain death by trying to cross it, take the convenient underground pedestrian tunnel. The inside of the Arc has an interesting museum detailing the Arc's history. The views from the top are worth the price of admission alone.
View from the top.
X_Drive X_Drive
May 26, 2005
On our visit to the Arc de Triomphe, which was part of our Brendan Tour, we had only a few minutes to take pictures which is unfortunate. Located at the western end of the Champs-Elysees at a huge round-a-bout, this wonderful arch is a war memorial honoring those who fought in the Napoleonic Wars and includes France’s tomb of the unknown soldier. Its design and magnificent and its size at 165 feet tall makes it visible from almost anywhere in Paris. Oh, we got to drive by this wonderful site several times, but only once stop for 5 minutes. I would have loved to have been able to visit inside and see the views from the top.

Related Travel Blogs About Arc de Triomphe

(Paris-巴黎) the city that i never expect anything.. but turn out it's so beautiful to me;)
I dont even sleep well last night in Berlin, i'm feeling upset because i have to  leave this city:( How i wish i can stay little longer... but i can't because everything is as per schedule and i…Paris, so i can't missed out anything here! We went out around 2pm and we start from the Arc de Triomphe
T-8 hours and counting...
As an avid traveler there are tons of places that I want to visit.  The list of the countries I'd like to visit is limited only by the number of countries that exist on the earth.  As you c…Paris.  I have always wanted to see the Eiffel Tower and hang out on Champs-Elysees contemplating the grandeur and magnificence of the Arc de Triomphe

Check Paris Hotel Deals