Aran

06232 6021930

Aran Speyer Reviews

ingridtrekki ingridtr…
Bread unlimited - delicious spreads Feb 26, 2017
When I was in Speyer in November 2013 this restaurant caught my eye and I was hungry anyhow. The advertising, "Brotgenuß und Kaffeekult", means something like bread indulgence and coffee cult. I didn’t want a full meal, so bread with a delicious spread was just to my liking, although I found the prices (approx. 8-9 Euro for the “bread”) a bit on the dearer side. But once I was inside I saw that the prices are fully justified because it is not “just spread” they put on the bread but a delicious looking mixture of several kinds of ingredients. The one with mushrooms and potatoes caught my eye (I love mushrooms) and that day or week it was their specialty with a layer of mountain cranberry & horseradish just beneath the mushrooms and an extra of mountain cranberry jelly on top of the potatoes. So I ordered this and was even more pleased when the dish arrived: a delicious salad serving came with the bread. It did not only look delicious but it also tasted wonderful! Together with a latte macchiato my bill came to 11,90 Euro (8,90 Euro for the bread and 3 Euro for the coffee), a glass of tap water included.

Check their website, they have more mouth-watering spreads listed (just select the English version and then products – bread & spreads).

Back home I did a bit of research because I liked the idea of this kind of hearty and filling snack. What I found made me smile: the cradle of the idea behind Aran is ... in Bavaria! In Rosenheim (which is near Lake Chiemsee) to be precise. It seems only fair that Bavaria “gives something back” to Palatinate, because the famous dishes which are so popular in Bavaria, such as Leberkäse, Pretzel and Dampfnudel, were invented in Palatinate during the time when it was Kingdom of the Palatinate, ruled by the Bavarian Kings of Wittelsbach dynasty.

As it is obvious on my photo, Aran has also outdoor seating and blankets for those who wish to sit outside in chilly weather. It is located almost next to Altpörtel, the town gate, and ideal for people watching too.

Opening hours: Monday – Saturday: 9:00 – 19:00, Sunday: 10:00 – 19:00.

(I think credit cards are accepted, however I have to confirm this when I am there next time).
planxty says:
I am not a big eater but this does look delicious.
Posted on: Apr 21, 2017