Aqueduct and fortifications, Elvas

Elvas, Portugal

Aqueduct and fortifications, Elvas Reviews

davidx davidx
Spain/Portugal frontier town Aug 13, 2010
Elvas is under 10 miles from Badajoz in Spain and has been heavily fortified at various different periods. I was a bit disappointed that there is nowhere except the air from which an averall grasp of its fortifications can be obtained. This makes it seem rather 'bitty' to the casual visitor but there are very practical lessons for anybody into the history of fortifications.

However for me the most impressive single sight was the aqueduct; I do admit to a certain addiction towards aqueducts but surely anybody would be amazed at the architecture of this one. What often astonishes me with aqueducts is the contrast between the time, labour and cost on the one hand and the pitiful trickle carried on the other. This applies here.
Aqueduct 1
Aqueduct 2
Aqueduct 3
Aqueduct from other side
Chokk says:
I was in Elvas some years ago - I like the place too; but I have like that with most Portugese cities.
Posted on: Aug 13, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Aqueduct and fortifications, Elvas

Fortifications and Aqueduct
This is close to Badajoz in Spain and has been a highly fortified town over many centuries. I knew I was there until 18.30 - the weekend buses really do leave a bit to be desired - so this time there…fortification over so many periods that you would need to be in a helicopter to get a total impression. From this point of view it was less pleasing than…

Check Elvas Hotel Deals