Applegate Bed and Breakfast

Check Bakewell Hotel Deals

Applegate Bed and Breakfast Bakewell Reviews

juanitopiscolita juanitop…
Only for the desperate Jun 13, 2011
I think its important to always say positive things whenever you are about to give constructive criticism and although my stay at Applegate was generally a poor experience there were some good points, so here goes. The b&b is very well situated in the centre of town and has a gorgeous view over the back of the old town church. The house itself is a nice old place that has been recently renovated. The rooms are clean (except for the issue of the house cat which I will get to shortly) and the bathroom and bedroom fixtures and fittings are modern, new and of good quality.

BUT..... the service and the experience we received was hard work from the beginning! It all started when I tried to make the booking. I called the owner (a very strange and anti social old lady called Pam) requesting a booking. All she said was send me an email and ill confirm. Thereafter over the next three weeks, and after several calls and emails, all initated by me, and of which only one was returned, I finally got a confirmation that my booking was accepted. Talk about hard work just to get her to accept my money! Now normally I would just go someone else but unfortunately no-one else would take a one night booking at this time of year (June) so I was kinda stuck. Anyway all well that ends well. I had my booking for the night, now all I had to do was turn up and enjoy my stay, right? Wrong! I sent her an email the day before to confirm the booking and to let her know we were arriving at around 12. No response. We arrived to be told that the room wouldnt be ready until 4pm. We were allowed to drop our bags off but had to get out. It was as if she was going out and was afraid to leave us in the house alone, not really a desirable trait in a b&b. We couldnt actually get hold of her until after 6pm so we were stuck until then.

Next day we went down for breakfast which was served at 830, no not 8 to 10, or any other range of time, but 830, ie be there on time or miss out. First time ive ever seen that. The house cat was allowed to roam free even jumping on the breakfast table one time. I had been very sniffly all night and now I knew why. Im mildly allergic to cats and it was obvious that the cat had a free roam licence on the house. Anybody with more severe pet allergies beware. I think its very important to state this when booking Pam!

Breakfast was pleasant if not generous but Pam was just weird. The look on her face is like she was scared of us all. She was very unfriendly and hardly talked to us or any of the other guests at the breakfast table, prefering to spend her time in a little ante room.

Finally at 10.05 sharp we got a knock on the door saying checkout was 10am (the first we had heard about it, not even written anywhere) and we had to get out as soon as possible! Very cheeky considering we hadnt been able to get in until after 6pm.

So in summary, nice house in a great location but Pam is just a very weird and scared old lady that is definitely NOT suited to running a b&b. If you dont mind the hard work and rudeness then its probably not a bad place to stay but beware the cat hairs if allergic, and at £80 a night not exactly a cheap option. You have been warned!
view from the house