Applecross Inn

Shore Street, Applecross, United Kingdom

Applecross Inn Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Applecross Inn Jul 27, 2010
The Applecross Inn is an incredibly good pub restaurant in a tiny village in Scotland. I am writing this review ten days later and I am getting very hungry just thinking about this place.

The location is a picturesque village on the edge of a loch, and the inn is very pretty indeed.

The food is incredible. Everything is cooked perfectly, locally sourced if possible, and just wonderful. How they manage that and have it arrive at the table is beyond me. I had prawns that were really langoustines and the landlady showed me how to get the best meat out, without ever being patronising or intrusive.

But despite the wonderful food, and the range of awards that they have won (displayed behind a table in the main bar, for all the world like they were just photos of the pub in 1892...), this place is just not pretentious at all. The bar serves beer and lager, and you can order at the bar like it was a pub. The staff are all lovely. The menu is written on a chalk board on the wall and you are more than welcome to come in in your hill walking clothes. It has a wonderful, relaxed, cozy atmosphere that makes it feel really great. Even though there was a slight wait for tables, nobody seemed grumpy and there was no hurry to leave.

I love this place. If you are ever on the west coast of Scotland, for any reason, you should try to go.
Applecross Inn
Real_PeaceWarrior Real_Pea…
Penisular Perfection Jun 25, 2008
There is quite a bit of information about my visit to this little pub/restaurant in Applecross in the entry wrote about my trip to Scotland last year, but I decided to really do it justice the Inn deserved a more complete review.

The location for this Inn could not be more pleasant, it is absolutely perfect on the edge of it's own little bay, in a lovely little secluded village, with views across to the Isle of Skye, and the chance of spotting an otter for those who have the patience and luck.

The essence of the inn is it's bar, everything is fundamental to this. The bar is the 'heart and soul' of the place. it has a good choice of beers, wines and a fantastic selection of single malt whiskies, as you might expect.

The food is simply to die for, chosen from the 'menu' which is basically a huge blackboard centrally located on the walls of the inn. The choice is extensive, and appetising, but once ordered, delivered and sampled there is only one word to describe the various options; exquisite!

All choices appear to be locally sourced, either fish and shellfish from the bay, or fresh meat and vegetables from traditional farms and estates. Whatever you choose from the oysters, langoustines, haggis or venison sausage, you will not be disappointed, everything tastes exactly as it should, fresh and delicious. There is a choice of daily specials and a comprehensive choice of desserts, including my own favourite which I am still unable to remember the name of .............. sorry!

What finally finishes off the place and makes it perfect is the friendliness of this award winning pub. Judith the manager, a canny Yorkshire lass (but we won't hold that against her), she has a great team. They appear always happy to help, nothing is too much trouble, everything done with a cheerful smile and they always seem happy to have a chat. This filters down to the guests, everybody appears to relax and is determined to have a good time. The atmosphere is congenial, the surroundings great what more can anybody ask for?

I did not unfortunately get the chance to sample the accommodation. I hope I can rectify that someday soon, but I am equally sure that it is upto the same exceedingly high standards of the restaurant.

Just in case anybody is wondering; no I'm not on any commission, and have not been paid to 'gush' about this lovely inn. I cannot recommend the Applecross Inn highly enough, and anybody travelling to the west coast of Scotland would do well to make a diversion over the Bealach nam Bo for a sample of the best of Scottish hospitality.

You don't have to take my word for it though, it has been awarded the Best Dining Pub in Scotland award .............. but don't take their word for it either, try it for yourself, you won't regret it!
Website pic.
Real_PeaceWarrior says:
Thanks, really want to get back soon :)
Posted on: Aug 16, 2010
sarahelaine says:
I totally agree with you. :)
Posted on: Aug 09, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Applecross Inn

Wild Wild West
With no intention of visiting the North Highlands during this trip, we stumbled upon the Wester Ross Coastal Trail after making a wrong turn between Dornie and Kyle of Lochalsh while on the way to Is…Applecross Inn at Shore Street. The Inn has been awarded a number of accolades including the AA best seafood…
Crossing the Pass of the Cattle
The Bealach na Ba is the Pass of the Cattle, the single most mental road I have ever seen in my life.  It rises from pretty much sea level to 626 metres (thank you wikipedia) and comes back to s…Applecross Inn for lunch because it had such good feedback in the lonely planet.  The lonely planet was about…
Taking the soft option
The drive from Kyle of Lochalsch to Applecross is quite the white knuckle ride, it is the highest road in the United Kingdom it snakes it's was through the hills, it is pretty narrow most of the way,…Applecross Inn, which has such a reputation that it is almost legendary.  The village itself consists of the inn, a post…
Applecross Inn Map