4-6 Kígyó Street, Budapest, Hungary
(1) 318 3559

Apostolok Budapest Reviews

soosie999 soosie999
Amazing art nouveau decor and fab food Jul 12, 2010
The ornate exterior details of the magnificent 1902 Art Nouveau building drew us down the side lane just off the Vaci Utca where we discovered the entrance to the Apostolok restaurant. The energetic and very multilingual waitress enticed us in to take a look down the dark but intriguing corridor revealing amazing church like décor. Filled with ornately carved dark timber booths, I could imagine the well dressed society ladies and gentlemen removing their coats, gloves, hats and umbrellas and placing them in the railway carriage style racks above the seats. The section we dined in was surrounded by murals of ancient towns and their patrons, such as Kassa and Eperjes, had tessellated tiles on the floor and leadlight light fittings. A visual feast.

Having decided to eat there without seeing the menu, we were pleased and relieved to see modern style dishes that made use of traditional flavours and ingredients accompanied by a good wine list. We chose a Burdai Nyakas Sauvignon Blanc with a mellow palette and a reasonable price tag. We shared a Goose Liver Pate with Spanish Onion Jam and mixed salad leaves. Our mouths were assuaged by the pate with its smooth, rich and creamy texture which contrasted beautifully against the sweet onion jam then ultimately refreshed by the assorted baby lettuce leaves. There was lots of “Mmmmm” going on. I ordered the Baked Salmon with garlic creamed spinach and garlic potatoes garnished with dill and lime. The salmon was a little over cooked for my tastes, I prefer my fish just cooked, but was perfect for my husband’s palette. He had a medium Steak with green peppercorn sour cream sauce and chunky chips all were perfectly cooked! The servings were quite generous so there was no room left in our jeans for dessert.

A lovely meal, not cheap and not expensive but what an amazing place to eat! The staff were sensational, fast efficient and friendly, a really lovely evening in Budapest.
Booth dining