Apache Trail, Salt River & Canyon Lake, AZ USA

Apache Junction, Arizona

Apache Trail, Salt River & Canyon Lake, AZ USA Apache Junction Reviews

BASAIC BASAIC
Drive the Apache Trail Mar 08, 2017
Arizona Highway 88 is called the "Apache Trail". It stretches from Apache Junction to the Roosevelt Lake area where it intersects Arizona Highway 188 which leads to Globe. Attractions along the way include the Superstition Mountain Lost Dutchman Museum, Apache Lake, Canyon Lake, Fish Creek Canyon, Lost Dutchman State Park, Tortilla Flat, the Roosevelt Dam, and Roosevelt Lake. The road is long and windy. Sometimes it floods and you cannot drive past Tortilla Flat. The last 22 miles heading east is dirt and sometimes rough. DO NOT take this road if you are in a hurry; but DO take it if you want to take your time and see some spectacular scenery.
Apache Trail Sign
walterman9999 walterma…
Apache Trail, Salt River & Canyon Lake, AZ USA Mar 12, 2015
Downstream from where I start the amateurs float downriver in innertubes. Downriver from that the agriculture farmers suck the river dry for irrigation of good crops. Downriver from that the dry riverbed goes through Phoenix.

I am driving upriver looking for nice places to park and enjoy the Salt river.

I finally get to Canyon Lake and I stop for a summer swim in this 105 degree F weather. The lake feels ice cold as I slowly enter and get neck deep in water. My feet feel a thermocline where the deeper water is much colder. I stay swimming for a while then get out and dry off and donn some dry clothes...my summer uniform of shorts and tea shirt.

I cook something to eat on my stove and pull out a very cold quart of ice tea to drink.

There is still much to see on the Apache Trail including more of the salt river and Apache Lake...but I am happy sitting here in the little amount of shade that I have.
Zagnut66 says: