Aonoch Eagach

Glencoe, United Kingdom

Aonoch Eagach Glencoe Reviews

davidx davidx
1st ridge= on UK mainland Aug 26, 2010
The best ridge in the UK is in the Cuillin on the isle of Skye - but that is more than a walk. The top two on the mainland are this one and An Teallach, farther north. I think I have a very slight preference for the latter but I can't justify that objectively. Aonoch Eagach can be seen way up above you on the right as you descend into Glencoe.

The normal route is from east to west - I can't envisage how it would be the 'wrong way' but I see from Google that there is a website for just that. I have been the right way a number of times - but never in snow or ice, which I know would always have been beyond me.

As you start up Am Bodach to reach the east end of the sharpest part of the ridge, there is a notice advising against descending before the Pap of Glencoe. I did so once because I had miscalculated and the light was about to fade - but I should advise sticking wiht the notice.

It now seems to me a little mad that a friend and I tok our very young children along it - but only a little because very young ones can be told exactly what to do, whereas slightly older ones would have the stuff of nightmares. I certainly do not recommend taking any children unless 1.) you are pretty competent yourself and 2.) you have previously done the ridge without them.

Having said that, I can honestly say that any reasonably fit person who does not suffer from vertigo should be able to manage it and, more important, thoroughly enjoy doing so. Please don't sneer at our moderate heights. You will feel you have had a 'real' walk and the views are terrific. The scrambling will give a sense of satisfaction.

As I have no photos, try

Check Glencoe Hotel Deals