Antica Pizzeria Co

13455 Maxella Ave # 201, Marina del Rey, CA, USA

Antica Pizzeria Co Marina del Rey Reviews

dlazzaro dlazzaro
Feb 05, 2006
Most pizza joints in the United States fall into one of two categories: bad, and worse.Sometimes though, I have found good pizza (about 5 times in my life). Even more rarely, I have found pizza that is almost authentic Southern Italian style (about twice in my life). But I had never eaten an American pizza that is a perfect match to the best pizza you eat in Italy...... until I went to Antica Pizzeria.I found this place randomly, while rushing to a movie and looking to grab a quick bite. I stumbled into the door of the pizzeria, and asked them if they sold by the slice. "No sir.. " was the response. So I looked around a little more carefully. This was not some cheap by-the-slice joint. Whoops. Feeling embarassed, I asked how big their pizzas were. "11 inches," was the reply. And how long to cook one, I asked. "5 minutes." Perfect I thought.When I saw them making the pizza, I realized right away just how perfect it was going to be. These pizzas are made by an artisan, not just any cook. I could tell he knew how to work with the dough to make a good pizza.When it was ready five minutes later, I grabbed it, sat down at the wine bar, and ate the entire thing in 15 minutes.It was like Nirvana. It kills me to say this, but this pizza is even better than my old favorite, Jacopo's. Jacopo's is still the second best pizza in LA, but Antica Pizzeria is now #1 as far as I am concerned.I would even go so far as to say its about equal to the best pizza I have had in the world, which I ate in a Southern Italian-owned pizzeria in Firenze (Florence).Antica Pizzeria is the first pizzeria in the United States to be certified as having Verace Pizza Napoletana, which roughly translates to True Pizza from Napoli. It uses wood fired stoves.If I had to choose a last meal, part of that meal would include a pizza Napoletana from Antica Pizzeria.If you are in Los Angeles and care about pizza, you MUST try this pizzeria.

Check Marina del Rey Hotel Deals