Anthills or "erumbu puthu"

On the road towards Radhapuram from Thomasmadam, Radhapuram, India

Anthills or "erumbu puthu" Radhapuram Reviews

joehobo joehobo
Martin's ant hills at Radhapuram Nov 25, 2014
When roads between the interior towns between the coast and Tirunelveli were cut of by a bountiful monsoon I routed towards Kanyakumari till Thomasmadam and at the Junction headed north towards Radhapuram.The road was a state highway with two lanes.

I had driven about 10 kms and on the arid land, now green with grass,just beside the road,to my surprise,I saw more than a hundred ant hills conical in shape,red in color,at least more than five feet tall and a few meters in circumference.Many of the locals passed along the road while I stopped to take a brief look around.They even glanced at me with surprise while I walked around the pretty mounds taking a few pictures with my niece and was perplexed as to why the people were not interested at this natural wonder.Maybe these hills spread in more than several acres of land have been here for far too long and so had become unamusing to them.

It was getting late and dark clouds were gathering above while a slight drizzle compelled me to cut short my interest in the magnificent find.I thanked God who had led me here and I think I had been led by nature to discover its wonder and I am happy to record the find as the Martins ant hills at Radhapuram.

Erumbu puthu in tamil means ant hills and many people do not dare near it for it is believed and also known that the king cobras in India make it their home and some times sting intruding people.

Radhapuram is a small town near Valliyoor which is close to the Highway connecting it with Nagercoil and Kanyakumari beyond it.Well I hope this natural wonder is not destroyed through the ignorance of the natives,land owners or by the local government on some ground what so ever.
Inundated roads
Monsoon waters
cimtech says:
Thanks for sharing, very interesting !
Posted on: Nov 26, 2014
Zagnut66 says:
Those ant hills look fascinating, but I wouldn't get too close. Don't want ants in my pants!
Posted on: Nov 25, 2014