Anker Hostel

Anker Hostel Rates and Deals

Anker Hostel Oslo Reviews

Paulovic Paulovic
Sleeping factory, not very cozy Jul 23, 2015
I arrived in Oslo past midnight. It was about 10 minutes walking distance from the train station. It is a positive thing that the reception is open 24 hours a day. I even had to wait because others also were checking in at that time of the day. as I entered the room I first was affraid to wake up some people because of the time. But There were two guys, one from Canada and one from England who were still reading or listening music with the light on. They said there were also two German girls, but they did not come back yet. I had a short chat with the two other guys, the German girls arrived after I felt asleep and did wake up after I left the next morning, so I did not meet them.

The room I booked was an eight bunk room. There was one bathroom with a shower, sink and toilet. Bad thing with the shower, there was only a curtain but the water was able to go through the entire bathroom. Towel is included in the price though.

The staff was friendly and helpful. And I could put my big backpack in a luggage room after checking out the next morning.

There is no breakfast included. So I had to search for a supermarket or some place to have breakfast.

Even though it is a very big hostel, the Wi-Fi in the room was quite good. I do not know if that is in every room or that I was just lucky. Inside the room there was a little kitchen where you could even cook electrically and there was a fridge as well.

The hostel is located about 500 meters from the city centre. Since Oslo is not very big, you can all walk it easily. Although at 1:00 am there were some shabby people at the street, especially the last part between the train station and the hostel. But I did not feel unsafe, while I probably would feel more unsafe in such a neighbourhood at home. Maybe it is because I always read Norway is even safer than The Netherlands.

Pity that there is no common room. You can sit in front of the check-in desk on some couches. But that's not so nice. I was lucky I stayed here only for about 7 hours in total.

One thing, in in summer it is light outside very early and the curtain in front of the window let a lot of light get throug.

Because I stayed so short I did not make any photo's of the hostel. I would recommend it as it would be for only sleeping.
curious_claire curious_…
Anker Hostel Feb 01, 2015
While i was in Oslo i stayed at Anker hostel as it was the cheapest. Oslo is known for being expensive so i wanted to save money on the hostel. I stayed here for 2 nights in an 8 bed mixed dorm which cost me £47.

The hostel is in a very good location and is easy to walk to from the train station. I had no problem finding the place but there is an Anker Hotel as well as Hostel so a few times people would come in asking if this was Anker Hotel. Some of them looked relieved when they were told it wasn't the hotel!

The staff here were really friendly. They gave me a map of the city and highlighted a few things i might be interested in. A hostel doing this is the easiest way of winning me over from the start!

There was a little bit of a social area here but it's not very big. Not really the kind of place you'd choose to spend your evening! But then again Oslo isn't known for being a big backpackers party area! That being said the hostel did work with The Oslo Crawl so you could have a fun night out if you want to. I did do this and i do recommend it. I had a really good time.

The room was supposed to be mixed but it seems to be a place that puts all women and men together if they can. For me i don't really mind either way so it didn't bother me. The room had it's own bathroom with 1 shower and 1 toilet for us to share so there were a couple of times where there was a queue but nothing major.

I found it a bit weird that the hostel didn't have a kitchen but instead had a stove, sink and fridge in the room. What i really didn't like was that you had a rent a box of kitchen equipment when you wanted to cook something. One lunch i asked for just a plate and knife because i just wanted to make a sandwich but was told this wasn't allowed. If you wanted 1 thing you had to have the whole box. I couldn't be bothered to take the whole box to my room so i made a knife out of my butter lid haha

Overall the hostel was fine but i probably wouldn't stay here again because of the lack of kitchen. But if you can deal with this then you may be ok here.
berghain berghain
Cheapest accommodation you'll probably find in Oslo Jun 04, 2012
Location: The Anker Hostel is located 10 minutes (walking distance) from the central station (Oslo Sentralstasjon) and from the main street (Karl Johans Gate). It's located between the scene neighborhood Grünerlokka and central Oslo with all its sights (Aker Brygge, City Hall, Government building). From Aker Brygge, you easily can reach the museum's island Bygdoy.

Price: Oslo is one of the most expensive cities in the world. That means you won't find the typical backpacking-scene here because there's nothing such as low budget in Oslo. The Anker Hostel is the cheapest location you can find in Oslo and even here you pay about $35 per night for a bed in a 8-bed-dormitory - and the breakfast and linen is not even included, it's $10 extra for breakfast and $10 for linen. Sleeping bags are prohibited.

Cleanliness: The cleanliness is alright. I didn't find any gross things such as bed bugs or mice, however the shower could have been tidied up more often. There was no shower curtain, so after eight people showering the bathroom was more than wet. The beds were clean and so was generally the room and the sheets.

Fun: Compared to other hostels I've been to (Berlin, Amsterdam) this one is not that fun. A lot of the visitors are newly arrived immigrants who are not there for backpacking reasons but for one of the cheapest places in Oslo to stay until they find jobs and apartments. As I've mentioned before, Oslo is not a real budget-traveling place, so don't expect too much fun in this hostel. The alcohol policy in Norway however is really strict. You're not allowed to drink in front of the hostel after 8 pm and clubs usually recquire a minimum age of 21, a lot of them even want you to be 23 or older.

Safety: Unfortunately there are no lockers. I kept my valuables with me in my bed during sleep and carried them with me during the day. Oslo in generally is a safe city but the area surrounding Anker Hostel is not a really pretty one. For girls traveling alone I would recommend taking the tram to the hostel in the evening when it's dark. The station "Hausmann's gate" is directly in front of the hostel. The redlight district is not too far away from the hostel and there are many beggars, drug addicts and homeless people, so be careful when walking down the Storgata.
NYdrew NYdrew
A very average hostel in a pretty city Mar 07, 2011
This was my last hostel stay on my Scandinavian trip and it was an ehh experience. The building is mammoth and the common room did have quite a bit of people hanging around in it, but this wasnt enough to make the experience better. The staff were ambivalent at best. It felt like a factory in there as well. The room had average beds and was pretty cramped and the kitchen was right there in the room which was annoying. The bathroom was gross with one of the worst showers i've dealt with. As far as location, it was fairly good but still a bit of a trek to most things, and Oslo's public transportation is frustrating compared to other cities. I met nice people there and it wasnt awful but if i went back to Oslo I would spend extra money and just stay in a hotel.
dark-phoenix dark-pho…
Sep 24, 2010
Very good hostel. Probably the most popular in Oslo i dare say. I guess on a side-ish note, whenever i told people i was in Oslo, they all asked if i had stayed at the Anker Hostel.

Staff are friendly, all the gear provided to cook your own meals. I guess i have a glowing review of the hostel because of the people i stayed with. But the lobby does have a few people around, so striking up a conversation is no problem. Very sociable hostel.
jotkar jotkar
Anker Hostel - Good Hostel ! Oct 06, 2009
This hostel was good and clean it has a 24 hour reception and they also provide towels and for extra charge cooking stuff to. Also close to the central station, friendly stuff too. Price wise was good for Oslo.

Anker Hostel Amenities

• Kitchenette
  • TV
  • Shops
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower
  • Self Laundry
  • Paid Parking

Related Travel Blogs About Anker Hostel

Until next time, Oslo!
Today was the last day in Oslo, the weather could have been better! It was quite overcast for the whole day. I actually had an afternoon train trip which left at around 4pm headed for Bergen. 7 hour …Oslo and the Anker Hostel as i had met some of the coolest people from places including St Petersburg…

Check Anker Hostel Rates and Deals