Anita Garibaldi Monument.

Piazzale Guiseppe Garibaldi, Rome, Italy

Anita Garibaldi Monument. Rome Reviews

planxty planxty
Memorial to a remarkable woman. Jul 16, 2017
I have written a review elsewhere on this page about the memorial to Guiseppi Garibaldi who is effectively the founder of modern Italy and about whom I knew lamentably little. If I knew little about him, I knew absolutely nothing of his wife who has transpired to be an equally fascinating character if not, indeed, even moreso and yet again gives further credence to the old cliche about travelling broadening the mind. Like most cliches it has a sound basis in truth. Had I not managed to completely lose myself walking round Rome (see the journal entry to which this review is attached for full details of that) I would have probably gone to my grave never having heard of this fascinating woman.

For a woman who played such a prominent role in the founding of modern Italy, it is a little surprising that she was not even Italian, whatever that meant at the time of her birth in 1821 as Italy was essentially a group of principalities. She was Brazilian and of very humble Azorean stock who had earlier relocated to South America. She met Garibaldi (himself from what is now France) in 1839 and they became lovers, comrades in arms and eventually national heroes.

Again I must stress that I would love to go into the whole history of this fascinating woman but I have been told that it is not the TravBuddy way as people can look it up for themselves online. So be it and I shall confine myself to a description of her wonderful memorial atop Janiculum Hill close to that of Garibaldi himself. Indeed, I found hers the more aesthetically pleasing, not to mention historically accurate of the two and the central image of her riding away from potential danger with a weapon in one hand and clutching an infant child in the other I found to be hugely emotive somehow. Given the social mores of the time she really is a fine example of feminism which I suspect some of the more extreme of that movement in the 21st century might do well to study.

Her memorial is made all the more poignant in that it is her final resting place although this is in itself contentious. Having died of malaria in 1849 Anita's remains were hastily buried near Ravenna where she died. There is some suggestion that dogs dug up and desecrated the remains and it was not until 1932 that the Fascist leader Mussolini had the remains removed from a second resting place in Genoa to be placed in the base of the current monument which is the work of Mario Rutelli. Hopefully it is the poor woman's final resting place and I must say that when I eventually shuffle off this mortal coil I can think of many worse places for my last remains to lie.

Again, this monument is not on the standard tourist Roman tour but is well worth seeking out and the reader may even try doing it deliberately and not by being lost as I was!
planxty says:
Again, another random find and a hugely interesting one. I had only the very faintest idea about Garibaldi and knew nothing at all of Anita. It seems theyare both hugely revered in South America, her perhaps even moreso than him.

It was a good day of walking!
Posted on: Nov 13, 2017
AdamR3723 says:
This is very fascinating. They appeared to have met in South America (according to that font of knowledge, Wikipedia).
Posted on: Nov 08, 2017