Angkor Wat

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Angkor Wat Siem Reap Reviews

FoxyFauz FoxyFauz
The One and Only Angkor Wat Apr 27, 2015
We reserved the Angkor Wat tour to be the last one as the saying goes – Save the Best for Last.

Unfortunately for us, a section of the front of the Main temple building was covered in green canvas due to restorative works. Therefore, taking a photo right in front of the temple was tricky if you want to ensure the green canvas spot is hidden from your photo.

Some people had suggested that we come to the temple before sunrise so as to catch the sunrise view which was supposedly awesome. But since sunlight was about 5-ish, none of us could wake up.

This temple - said to be the Mother of All Temples, is a huge complex and listed as UNESCO site. Therefore, make sure you don’t come here on a rush schedule. We set aside a whole afternoon for touring this temple. We had already bought a 3-day temple pass on the first day of our temple visit therefore we did not have to queue for a ticket today.

As required when entering any temple dome or Wat as it is called, respectful dressing is required. For women, no shorts or singlets are allowed. It is alright to wear singlets and shorts when viewing temple ruins or temple grounds but when entering the temple (indoor section where prayers are held) – you need to be covered. Covering your arms in shawls are not good enough – they will reject you. Luckily for me, I had bought a dress at the market this morning near the other temple. I quickly put it on (over my singlet and shorts) while in the queue after seeing that they had rejected a few Caucasian ladies who were in singlets and trying to cover themselves with shawls ahead of us in the queue. The guard saw this and he allowed me to pass through.

This temple is still used for state religious ceremonies.

Generally speaking, having done 3 days of temple viewing, I was a bit disappointed by Angkor Wat. No doubt it looks majestic due to the sheer grand size but with no other buildings built anywhere close, it is bound to look grand (afterall it is on the flag!). However, in terms of architecture and the intricacy of the carvings, I was more impressed by Banteay Srei and The Bayon for its uniqueness.

But of course, nobody leaves Siem Reap without ever visiting The Angkor Wat!

Pix to be uploaded.
Conservation works at Angkor Wat (…
Foxyfauz trying to cover the unsig…
Lucky i got this dress to wear ove…
halilee says:
Seriously??!! Yeah I'll be posting my pics soon-ish. You'll see lol!
Posted on: May 05, 2015
FoxyFauz says:
Thank you everyone for the congrats :)
@ Halilee, ah the front section is still undergoing restorative works? Ok thats one very long restoration work going on for 3 years lol!
Posted on: May 05, 2015
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review! We were just there end of February and I have the same opinion as you, liked some of the other ones more and it had that ghastly green canvas on it. The whole area is great though!
Posted on: May 03, 2015
joehobo joehobo
Cultural Wondour Feb 18, 2013
Siem Reap in Cambodia is one heritage place which many among us may have visited, written, read or heard about.Yet I must add my own impressions for my soul satisfaction and in praise of its glorious history and culture. The culture of this wonderland is so intricately bound with that of the Indian sub continent that the Hindu saiva and vaishnavite beliefs as well as the Buddhist beliefs did play a major role in the sub continent.The history of Cambodia would also seem to be

coexisting with the reign of the kingdoms of South, Central and Eastern India.Huge temple complexes and the people who formed the kingdom would appear to have suddenly vanished and there are many theories about their oblivion.The great temples overgrown with more than several century old trees bear testimony to this unresolved debate about the fall of the Khmer Kingdom that dominated this part of the world from the 5th to thee 12the century or may be till even later.

This part of the world was noticed for its greatness in the not so late part of the last century but its magnificent rapid influence in the tourism industry is as glorious as its past.

The city has a small Airport and a few flights from the neighbouring countries fly down loads of tourists everyday.There is so much more to Siem Reap beginning from this great temple complex the Angkor Watt.

This country side is agrarian and fishing also serves as their source of income.That apart the recent tourism industry has taken over in a big way and changing the lives of the impoverished people who speak in dollar terms nowadays.
joehobo says:
I am happy to know that you had been to Siem Reap and about how 6you felt on seeing the pictures.TNX Burma>>>>>:):):)
Posted on: Feb 18, 2013
sUrAbUyA says:
It was fun "revisiting" Angor Wat thru your photos!
Posted on: Feb 18, 2013