Angeli Caffe

7274 Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Angeli Caffe - The complimentary pizza bread - warm and fluffy inside.  The olive oil was really top-notch!
Angeli Caffe - My lobster and shrimp on linguine.  So spicy, yummy and garlicky!
Angeli Caffe - Mushroom risotto - soothing comfort food.
Angeli Caffe - A shot of the bar.
Angeli Caffe - Potato Croquettes - fluffy and light inside.

Angeli Caffe Los Angeles Reviews

martinikitty13 martinik…
Feb 14, 2008
Carb Lovers’ Dream!

Angeli Café is a lovely little Italian restaurant with simple, fresh, homey Italian food, friendly, cozy service, affordable prices – all in a rather modern, yet somehow warm space. Space is a bit tight so I would recommend this for smaller groups since you will literally be sitting elbow to elbow! Parking can also be difficult (street parking on Melrose near La Brea isn’t always easy), but they do have valet ($5.50).

My friend was a bit late so I enjoyed a glass of cava – very refreshing with a hint of fruit, dry finish. They also left a nice, warm loaf of “pizza bread” – a mound of bready delight which I dipped in their very good virgin olive oil. I finally had to cut myself off because I didn’t want to be full before my meal even began! I then focused on watching the other diners, a large portion of which appeared to be regulars. That is always promising when you find that a restaurant has a loyal following.

When my friend arrived, we struggled with the menu which had too many tempting choices. (The menu is available on angelicaffe.com, but they also have several specials off-menu.) The waitress was very helpful and answered our multitude of questions. This is what we ended up having:

- potato croquettes (little fried puffed balls of mashed potatoes, salame and smoked mozzarella). Very tasty.

- Mushroom risotto. Risotto was perfectly cooked, mushrooms were tender, sweet and flavorful and the parmesan was nutty and smoky. Yum!

- The special – lobster and shrimp in spicy red sauce over a bed of linquine. Very nice kick in the spicy sauce, sweet tender lobster and shrimp. Mmmmm.

I was pretty full afterwards so we shared an affogato (vanilla gelato in a shot of espresso) – always a nice simple finish to a meal. I would definitely return – there were just too many other dishes I wanted to try, like the gnocchi, roast chicken, lasagna …. Carbs are just too good to give up!
A shot of the bar.
The complimentary pizza bread - wa…
Potato Croquettes - fluffy and lig…
My lobster and shrimp on linguine.…
cianmodel says:
sarap....
Posted on: Feb 13, 2008
sybil says:
mmmm yum!
Posted on: Jan 20, 2008
mellemel8 says:
WOW sounds good to me :)
Posted on: Jan 18, 2008
dlazzaro dlazzaro
Feb 12, 2007
Angeli Caffe is tucked away in an unassuming building on Melrose Ave. in the Miracle Mile area of Los Angeles.

Owned by chef Evan Kleinman, this restaurant is a rare gem. Although the chef does not have an Italian last name, her cooking tastes as if were homemade in a Tuscan kitchen.

I had the Lasagna, and I can say that it was the second best Lasagna I have ever eaten (the best was part of a homemade meal I had in Italy).

As far as I am concerned, the key to good Italian food is in the tomato sauce. My personal belief is that most tomato sauce in the United States is acidic, pasty, and heavy. It is also often over seasoned, especially with oregano.

The sauce that was in this Lasagna had none of those faults, and sometimes it is the lack of problems that makes something great. This sauce was great.

If I had one very small complaint, it was that the pasta was slightly, slightly softer than I would like it. However, I like my pasta harder than any of my friends... so my judgment there is probably biased.

Also, I have had Lasagna that has a slightly crisp top -- this Lasagna was soft on all sides.

Still, this restaurant has excellent food, and a nice date-friendly atmosphere too.

A+
Eric says:
Cool I think I am going to check out this place tonight...
Posted on: Apr 11, 2007
Eric Eric
Apr 12, 2007
Went here last night and tried the Lasagna Bolognese. It was decent, but, after reading Derek's review of it, I think I had higher expectations going in. I think it is more of a matter of preference, though. The lasagna here has a fresh, almost light taste to it, whereas I prefer lasagna with a heavier meat and cheese flavor. I agree with Derek in that I would have preferred the pasta a bit more al dente.

One of the things I liked best about this place was the bread. You can see them make and prepare it in the back, and they bring out a fresh, warm loaf to your table. As usual, I ate too much bread and was nearly full before my entree arrived.

Ambiance here seems trendy and contemporary, but the prices are fairly reasonable.
martinikitty13 says:
You should go to osteria mozza - the pastas there are amazing. i still dream about the orrechiette with sausage. :) but i just went to angeli and i defintiely liked it better than you.
Posted on: Jan 18, 2008