Anderton, England

Anderton Boat Lift Reviews

spidermiss spidermi…
Anderton Boat Lift Aug 27, 2017
Another wonder of the waterway ticked off! I did a day trip in West Cheshire which included a visit to Anderton Boat Lift and the visitor centre.

I accessed the 'Cathedral of Canals' via the Trent and Mersey Canal from the village where the bus dropped me off. The Anderton Boat Lift was designed by Edwin Clark and built in 1875. The purpose was to take barges up/down from the River Weaver to the Trent and Mersey and vice versa. The two caisson lift was in use for over a 100 years until 1983 when it closed due to corrosion.

The lift was subsequently restored and re-opened in 2002. The lift is a scheduled ancient monument. The visitor centre tells you about the boat lift and its history. There are opportunities to do a lift trip, which I did but I gave the river cruise a pass.

I enjoyed my visit admiring this structural beauty along with the interesting exhibit and nice coffee shop. It was a pity it rained during the lift trip but it stopped soon after.

The lift trip cost £8.00 (August 2017) but being a Canal and River Trust friend I got a discount. A recommendable experience and further information can be found on the website.
River Weaver
River Weaver

Compare Knutsford Hotel Rates (11.7km away)

Anderton Map