Ancona - Restaurants

www.ilmolo.it - 071 33214

Ancona - Restaurants Reviews

brandy brandy
Jul 08, 2007
With only two days and two nights in the small port city of Ancona, Italy I didn't have too many opportunities to explore the area. However I did visit some exceptional restaurants that were near some of the city's main attractions. The first night I was taken to La Moretta which is in the medieval section of the city center. The restaurant is situated in the Piazza del Papa (the Pope's Plaza) which has a statue of Pope Clement XII at one end. The food and the wine were great, the atmosphere was very relaxed, and I had the best Tiramisu I've ever tasted! I don't think I'll ever be able to order another one in the states again...they just have no idea!

The next day my colleagues and I went to a long lunch (gotta love the Italians!) at La Giuggiola. This little restaurant is also a Bed and Breakfast type place. You can sit outside on the back patio and look out over the sunflower fields and rolling hills. We had some traditional breaded meat and vegetables with wine of course. The food was pretty good, but the country setting was the highlight of this one.

My last night in Ancona we went to my favorite out of all the locations. The restaurant is called Ristorante Il Molo and it is in a section of Ancona called Portonovo (New Port). We drove up the only large mountain in the area towards the water and then began to make our way down again. We came upon this secluded beach in a small cove at the bottom of the mountain. There is a camp ground, a nice beach, and Il Molo there and that's about it. The water is crystal clear and it was nice to sit outside in the cool ocean breeze after a hot day. The food is mostly fish which is extremely fresh since they catch everything from their backdoor. The staff was very friendly and eager to make your visit a memorable one...which it certainly was!

I believe you can go just about anywhere in Ancona and have great food and enjoy the wine, but these few have a little something extra.
Portonovo