Ancient Realm Resort and Spa

Ancient Realm Resort and Spa Rates and Deals

Ancient Realm Resort and Spa Koh Lanta Reviews

divadownunder divadown…
Rustic bungalow on Klong Dao beach Feb 19, 2012
We stayed at the Ancient Realm Resort & Spa in Koh Lanta in May which was in the green season. The place had a rustic vibe and though quite basic it was definitely value for money.

The entrance was narrow and reception area is a bit old looking which made us feel quite apprehensive about the place at first. That perception changed however after we were given welcome drinks during check in and taken to our beach front bungalow which was literally steps away from the beach. The bungalow was gorgeous, we had our own fenced garden with a hammock. The bed was large (king sized) and comfortable, decorated with swan-shaped towels and strewn with frangipani flowers. The bungalow had a semi-open bathroom, the water pressure was good and hot water was always available. Air-con worked very well, fridge was stocked with drinks and snacks and a hairdryer was provided, which is important if you were blessed with thick hair which takes forever to dry naturally like me!

Breakfast is included and was okay. It was a la carte and you pick a set every morning as you sit down in the lovely huts by the beach where breakfast is served. We had all our meals at the hotel and they were all very good and reasonably priced.

The staff was friendly and the girl tending the bar was quite chatty and entertaining and the happy hour cocktails were not to be missed!

The resort also had a pool, albeit quite small, but who needs a pool when you have the sea just steps away! The Jacuzzi which was right in front of our bungalow and we can orders drinks and have them delivered to you.

We had a cucumber spa at the end of our stay which really felt refreshing and soothing on our skin after a week of carousing under the sun. The package included a traditional Thai massage, sea salt and mineral scrub and a cucumber wrap. We thought the package was a very good value and both the therapist and the spa setting were lovely.

All in all, the Ancient Realm was a very relaxing stay with a homely, rustic feel and is quite a value for money! We would stay here again if we were to return to Koh Lanta.
entrance
reception
beachfront bungalow
comfy bed
navy721 navy721
Anywhere but here. Not up to website quality! Oct 16, 2010
Stayed in room 2313 for 5 nights. Great location, extremely friendly staff, especially Aron and Oi. Oi was great.

The property and the room made for a wonderful presentation, However, some problems did come up.

Mosquito Net is in the room and you'll need it, because the bathroom (which is open air) doors allow mosquitoes. I sprayed myself down with bug spray and used the netting, stop them from getting to me.

The first night I could barely sleep. There was this sound from the wind that was making part of the "attic" rattle like tin foil. I mentioned it next day, and they took care of it when I left for a few hours.

The 2nd, 3rd, 4th nights the power cut out at least once per night, so I woke up all sweaty around 3-4am turning the AC back on. It makes for a rough sleep waking up in those conditions.

The toilet doesn't flush anything down... which is not only embarrassing, but you'd think that they would want to fix that. Nobody else mentioned this in their review so I wonder what the deal is.

The 4th night I woke up to the ceiling leaking water on me! Then a few hours later I woke up due to the power issue.

The 5th night I think I slept the best, I ended up sleeping in the bunk beds, (lower part - in case that part of the ceiling decided it wanted to leak on me too. And guess what, the AC never turned off. So it was a pretty good night.

The bunk beds squeak when they move, and it doesnt take a 195lb guy being forced to sleep in them because of the rain pouring in over the main bed to make the squeak you can just slightly push them with your finger and they make the noise.

Every morning I woke up around 7am, because the property next door they are rebuilding some boats (it doesn't look like they will be doing that for long, they are almost done) Nothing like a good whack of the hammer at 7am. Definitely not the hotel's fault, but didn't help the relaxation I was expecting.

Over all I feel cheated by the expectations set by other TA reviews, and the hotel's web site. I tried to tell them about the ceiling, but I'm not too sure if the one lady I spoke to understood what I was saying, she asked if I was ok and left it at that. Oh well. I wish I saw Aron, he would have figured something out.

The pool was filthy the day I left and water level was down below filter.

The hot tub in the back yard leaks water (a lot of water) and they never refilled it after the filling it the 1st day, nor does it looked like they cleaned it out... but with the water level being down so low I wasn't about to hop in anyways.

Breakfast was good. However, unless Oi is around don't expect to received everything you checked off on your slip... I think on the last day they just gave me whatever they felt like that day. Even little things like napkins, and salt/pepper were never brought to the table.

The owner has some work to do. The property definitely could be first class, in terms of service and amenities "bungalow style". Its not the Hilton, and I wasn't expecting this either. Maybe high season brings in a new staff that stay on top of all this... I'm not sure.

Website is not accurate!

Here are the reasons:

TV: Website states there are 65 channels, I think I had about 20 fuzzy channels. Luckily I enjoy listening to the the BBC.

"Biggest Private Hammock Swing" is in the middle of two paths that other guest could take to the bar... so much for private.

Website states there is a "Torch" - Didn't notice one in the back yard.

"Huge Private High-Fenced Backyard" - Backyard has a service gate that doesn't shut 100% and the staff can walk by and see into the backyard whenever they choose to. Not that I noticed they did, but it isn't 100% Private as stated on the website.

"Western Quality Mattress and Linen" - I don't think there are any springs in the lumpy mattresses, its just cloth filled with stuffing. It feel as if its just a giant pillow. And Linen is typical - same as you'd find in any other resort. Nothing special. Western style linen isn't something that is a nice anyways. lol

"Thai Style Day bed" Where was this - I have no idea. Maybe the little pillows that were at the foot of the bed. I'm not sure. Or maybe it was the couch that was about 4 feet long in front of the TV that didn't get anymore than 20 fuzzy channels.

"Four Bottled Water daily" - only two were provided.

Don't trust what the website states... If there are green seasons differences then I could understand, but the website doesn't state this

Didn't use the spa, nor drank at the bar at night - both look nice - Maybe that was answer the awful sleep experience.

Sorry for being rough, I know there a lot of positive reviews and I hope others don't have to go through this. The location is near Time for Lime (great place) and that in addition to their promises on the website were the reasons why I stayed here.

Wouldn't stay here again.

Ancient Realm Resort and Spa Overview

Ancient Realm Resort and Spa is a boutique resort "right on the beach", for the discerning traveller or holiday maker. The resort is situated on the south end of the famous Klong Dao Bay, at the north tip of Koh Lanta. Within 5 mins in each direction - we are ideally located on a quiet, scenic bay between Saladan (main town, with car ferry crossings & passenger ferry arrivals) and Long Beach (tourist centre & nightlife). With 12 villas and 2 suites, Ancient Realm Resort & Spa is an exotic, small, quiet and minimalistic style resort, which gives a charming atmosphere of tropical vibes and outstanding views of the ocean and islands, beyond our long private 63.5 meter beachfront. All rooms and designed and decorated, on the inside and out, in a fusion Thai-Bali-Chinese style. All guests can enjoy a deluxe and well appointed villa with private gardens to relax in, with each room bringing magnificent views of the white sand, clear water and surrounding national park mountains.Ancient Realm Resort & Spa also offers an in-house spa experience. It has two spa locations on our property; one being on the beach front for traditional Thai and other exotically fused massages. We also have a purposely built day and night spa area, offering a complete range of spa, massage, facial and beauty packages for both ladies and men.

Ancient Realm Resort and Spa Amenities