Ancient Babylon

Iraq

Ancient Babylon Reviews

VagabondStar Vagabond…
Awesome! Jun 26, 2012
(The price reflects the fact that I was billeted there during the invasion of Iraq - I have no idea what it may cost to go there now, but I believe it would be worth it, and I hope to return some day under better circumstances.)

I have never been so taken with the scope of history and place than I was when I saw Babylon. I was lucky enough to be able to walk through the excavated city with an Iraqi Archaeologist who gave a kind of impromptu tour to the guard force I was a part of.

Parts of the city were sloppily rebuilt under Saddam's regime, and you can see new wall stuck on top of ancient wall in some places - but not many. The motifs of fantastical creatures can be seen on the ancient walls, and in some places you can still see the original pigments used (I believe they were original pigments, it's been years, so memory may not be perfect).

Unfortunately, if you want to see the original Ishtar Gate, you have to go to Germany. The reproduction on site is very nice, however.

This might have been the most incredible experience of my life. If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend it.
Iraq Map