Anchor Bar

1047 Main Street, Buffalo, NY, USA - (716) 886-8920

Anchor Bar Buffalo Reviews

pinchora pinchora
Aug 26, 2007
HISTORY: Buffalo, NY (1964)-On a Friday night, Dominic Bellissimo was tending bar at the now famous Anchor Bar Restaurant in Buffalo, NY. Late that evening a group of Dominic's friends arrived at the bar touting a ravenous appetite. Dominic asked his mother, Teressa to prepare something for his friends to eat.

At about midnight, Teressa brought out two plates she had prepared in the kitchen and placed them on the bar. The aroma from the plates captured the attention of Dom and his friends and everyone asked, "What are these?" they looked like chicken wings, a part of the chicken that usually went into the stock pot for soup.

Teressa had deep fried the wings and flavored them with a secret sauce. The wings were an instant hit and it didn't take long for people to flock to the bar to experience this new eating sensation. From that point on, Buffalo Wings became a regular part of the menu at the Anchor Bar.

Today, the original restaurant is internationally famous and a destination in Buffalo serving up over a thousand pounds of wings each day to the likes of famous movie stars, professional athletes, political leaders and thousands of customers who seek the unique and great taste of Frank & Teressa's Original Buffalo Wings.

The phenomenon created in 1964 by Teressa Bellissimo has spread across the globe. . Although many have tried to duplicate Buffalo Wings, the closely guarded secret recipe is what makes Frank & Teressa's the proclaimed "Best Wings in the World."

Once entering the Anchor bar we were quickly greeted by a woman who sat us at one of the cramped tables throughout the dinning area. Once we got seated we waited for a while for the waitress to come to the table. We ordered our drinks (watch out they only have RC Cola not Coke or Pepsi) and ordered our 50 wings split into two types; spicy bar-b-que and medium.

We waited for the wings and as we were waiting the waitress brought the table next to us their wings for their dinner. They stopped her and questioned about the appetizer that they ordered and why the food came out before the appetizer. The waitress said that the appetizer took longer to make than the wings did...they canceled the order. I don't know what they ordered for that appetizer but if you go make sure ask which one will get out after the food...because that defeats the point of the appetizer.

So I've eaten a lot of wings...I'm a regular at Quaker steak and lube and Buffalo Wild Wings and am used to their sauce selection. The anchor Bar only has Mild, Medium, Hot, Spicy Bar-B-Que and I was dissapointed to not see about 2 dozen choices. They also have some buffalo wing soup.

I ordered the wing soup and we split the bucket of 50 with the spicy bar-b-que and medium because Kristi doesn't like hot things! The soup came out and it was more like nacho cheese and chicken what I would actually suggest is getting this as an appetizer and seeing if they can include a side of nacho chips, bread or french fries with it for dipping because that would be more delicious than eating the soup out right. I do have to say that the wings were unbelievable...dispite the lack of flavors in the sauces. There was alot of meat on their that was moist and fell of the bone as you bit into it and it was full of flavor.

My take...if I could mix the sauces of quaker steak and B-dubs (Buffalo Wild wings) and then put them on the wings of the Anchor Bar that would be an unbelievable restaurant...oh yeah...and get the friendliness of the Quaker steak and lube staff with the quickness of the wings at the anchor bar because b-dubs and the anchor bar didn't have good service but quaker steak and lube and b-dubs lacks in the quickness of the food to order!
The Anchor Bar
Our 50 wings in spicy bar-b-que an…
The Anchor Bar
xj47 says:
This has been on my agenda for years. Thanks for the heads up!
Posted on: Dec 23, 2007
mellemel8 says:
i am so there when i go back to buffalo :)
Posted on: Aug 27, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Anchor Bar

Dan, Ben and Steves tour of South East Asia 2002
Wednesday 3rd April 2002 After 10 uncomfortable hours on lufthansa’s finest 747 we landed at Hong Kong’s Chek lap kok airport at about 7am, unfortunately we’d had seats in the middle row so di…buffalo who were shitting in the river! At the end of our river ride we went down a weir, Coconut head had described it as a waterfall…
Great Lakes RT Day 2--Cleveland to Buffalo
We figured we couldn't pass by Buffalo, New York without stopping for a taste of a few Buffalo Wings (sounds like we went on a "food" trip and not a "road" trip, haha). What better place to stop than…Buffalo wing, in Toronto and came to a verdict: Anchor Bar gets my vote for best wings! Anyway, Buffalo was pretty…
Memorial Day 2011
Waking up and looking out over Niagra Falls, it looked like it was going to be a dismal day. It was cloudy and a fog bank extended over the river. I hoped that the fog would burn off as the day progr…Anchor Bar is where Buffalo wings were created, and since the downtown location was closed, I ate lunch at the airport…

Check Buffalo Hotel Deals