Anafiotika

Anafiotika Athens Reviews

Johnpro Johnpro
The Athens Island without Sea ! Jan 02, 2012
History :

The most surprising section in Plaka is Anafiotika. It is located directly under the north section of the Acropolis. It is said that the Delphic oracle forbade the entire area from being built, perhaps to protect the sanctity of the worship site. There were, however, those who sought shelter in this neighborhood of Plaka, such as refugees from the Peloponnesian war in antiquity, or even Ethiopian slaves who hid in caves during the Ottoman period; followed by workers and craftsmen who arrived from the Cycladic island of Anafi after Greece gained its independence. This, in fact, is how the name Anafiotika came about.

This section of Plaka actually creates the impression of an island with its small white-washed houses built amidst the rocks, narrow meandering steep streets and steps, stone walls and gardens filled with flowers. According to tradition, the first builders of the area, during the modern era, were two homeless workers from Anafi who smuggled the necessary building materials and built two rooms for their families in a matter of days. An island without a sea. When police arrived on the scene, they didn't have the heart to send them away.

Useful Links : No links

What around : Acropolis , Plaka , Monastiraki and more .

How to go : North slope of the Acropolis , near to Plaka.

Nearest metro station Monastiraki !

Tips : Don’t feel so free at the night time :)

Opening hours and tickets : 24 hours , Free without ticket !

Recommended walk , looks like to be in an Aegean island and nice view to Athens center !

The photos are mixed from different visits from 2009-2011 !

P.s. I make the review like a small guide ! I know is more better and easier to read ! If you ask me what I like ? I like all of them and love to be a tourist in my city :)

I am not Historical or a Guide , just explore my city :) . Extra information contact with me :). Thanks for reading !
Johnpro says:
Because my friend Tania you don't have me as a guide :)
So the next time and of course together with Ils I will be the Athens guide to explore every corner in Athens city :) Thank you Tania for your comment !
Posted on: Feb 03, 2012