Ana Mandara - Modern Vietnamese Cuisine

891 Beach St, San Francisco, CA, USA
www.anamandara.com - 415-771-6800
Ana Mandara - Modern Vietnamese Cuisine - menu, modern vietnamese cuisine :P
Ana Mandara - Modern Vietnamese Cuisine - after the rains (where do they come up with these names?) - seared ahi tuna
Ana Mandara - Modern Vietnamese Cuisine - ebony and ivory (ok, i understand then reason behind the name, but i'm sure there are way better ones they could've thought of) - scallops and sticky rice
Ana Mandara - Modern Vietnamese Cuisine - garlic noodles - blah
Ana Mandara - Modern Vietnamese Cuisine - brazilian strawberry and lychee martini (i think)

Ana Mandara - Modern Vietnamese Cuisine San Francisco Reviews

madeleine madeleine
Dec 01, 2007
I wish there were half stars on this ;)

My opinion on Ana Mandara is between average and good. It's not a bad place to eat. The taste of the food is decent, meaning it's not the best and not yucky. For $30 an entree though I had higher expectations.

Drinks - Drinks cost anywhere from $7 to $12, and it wasn't very much. I think my drink was a Brazilian strawberry something...it tasted almost like pink lemonade, except very very lemony (sp). If you like really sour drinks, I definitely recommend this one. John, I believe, had the lychee martini. It was OK.

Food:

Ebony & Ivory, scallops with sweet black rice and asparagus

After the Rains, seared ahi tuna with palm & jicama salsa

and a side dish of garlic noodles

Both the scallops and ahi tuna were good. Each dish would be enough to satisfy an appetite, but not enough to keep someone full for long. I really liked the sweet black rice. It tasted like flavored sticky rice, although I don't know how to explain the flavor.

Garlic noodles were very disappointing and I don't recommend it. If you're craving garlic noodles, go to Crustacean! The noodles were bland and I barely tasted any garlic :( I think Panda express has something better :|

Service: We were seated very quickly, but I wondered if anyone knew we were there. Waiters passed us left and right, and we got zero attention. Finally, I think someone realized we weren't being helped and he asked if we were ready. He seemed nice, but still, service wasn't at the level I hoped. I definitely have had better experience at comparable restaurants. The next time we saw him was when he brought us our check. No refills on water, no questions :| I don't think everyone was treated the same way we were. It seemed like we didn't get service because waiters were busy servicing other tables :(

Atmosphere:

We ate our meal and listened in on another group's conversation because of the seating situation. The lady next to me was only two feet away. For a restaurant that advertises romantic dinners, I don't know how romantic this would be in my opinion. Her friend was even louder. Apparently she just ran her first marathon and is going to do a photoshoot for Runner's World, I think. hmm, perhaps she was talking loudly to boast. Other than lack of privacy, the restaurant decor is nice. Dim lighting and asian-looking artifacts fill up the place.

Bill: 2 entrees, a side dish and two drinks cost us over $90, without tip.

Would I go there again? - No

Would I recommend it? - Sure. I believe in trying things at least once for experience, but there are other places I would say to go to first before this one.

Overall experience - It was OK. It was a new place for John and I to eat at, so that was fun. Everything else was simply, OK.
menu, modern vietnamese cuisine :P
after the rains (where do they com…
ebony and ivory (ok, i understand …
garlic noodles - blah
lwcp says:
I agree with the comments. It is a trendy, popular place that is fun to go to with friends but not all the time. It used to be better when they were in their old Mission location.
Posted on: Dec 15, 2007