An Teallach

Dundonnell, United Kingdom

An Teallach Dundonnell Reviews

davidx davidx
A fabulous ridge walk Aug 26, 2010
If I could still manage it, I should be leaving tomorrow. I think this is possibly the most enjoyable walk I have taken on the UK mainland. Some of the websites call it a mountain. That makes me cringe - it's a whole series of mountains linked by a ridge and if you do the whole traverse, your total height on the walk is more reminiscent of a Swiss mountain. I have to admit that the scrambling pushed me to the limit. You don't need to be a climber (I am not) but for goodness sake keep off unless you are an experienced montain walker and have a clear head for heights.

Start at Dundonell bu Little Loch Broom and, whatever your guidebook says, walk to Coire Toll an Lochain. The lochan is in a wonderful setting with the peaks of the ridge all around it. As you go up from here, you have a god chnace of seeing ptarmigan. Once on a family walk just to the lochan we saw a golden eagle rising from a lamb it had clearly just killed. Yes, I do know some bird lovers claim that these majestic birds are harmless to sheep. I don't believe that they are harmless to lambs - nor do the sheep!

I can't adequately describe the walk and I have no photos but please take a look at http://www.nafirchlis.co.uk/anteal.htm

Compare Ullapool Hotel Rates (7.2km away)

An Teallach Map