An African Villa

An African Villa Rates and Deals

An African Villa Cape Town Reviews

gardkarlsen gardkarl…
Personal service and good location Jun 09, 2014
We had one night in Cape Town on a trip during Easter 2014 and we decided to stay at “An African Villa” based on the price, location and the ratings that it had been given. When I came there in a taxi it was not that easy to spot the place as it was very anonymous on the outside. The place is located in a residential area so it blended in with all the other houses. I had to ring the doorbell to get in but then I was welcomed into the “home”.

The room was not quite ready yet but I got a short tour of the place and it is a charming place. The main rooms on the ground level looked like living rooms with a fire place, sofa and tables. At night they had port wine and sherry available so that the guest could have a glass before heading out to dinner. The hotel also offers free wifi in both the common areas and in the rooms.

We got a room on the first floor and there was no elevator so I had my regrets when I had to drag up our big Samsonite suitcases but that’s the punishment for being a posh packer I guess. The room we got was tastefully decorated as you can see from the pictures. Dark floors and light wall with decorations that matched the ones that were in the lounges. The room also featured a small flat screen TV, a desk with a chair and equipment to make coffee/tea, a larger more comfortable chair and a small table. There was also a wardrobe of course and a small safe.

The bathroom was a couple of steps down from the room but included two sinks, toilet and a shower corner – again tastefully decorated and it also included the amenities that you need such as soap, lotion, shower cap etc. And in the shower there were shampoo and soap in dispensers.

When we were there the weather was great so we enjoyed breakfast in the morning outside by the small pool in the garden behind the boutique hotel. We even got stunning views of Table Mountain and the cable car station at the top. The breakfast included all that we needed: bread, cereal, fruit, pastry and it was also possible to order a hot breakfast. In the kitchen there were a couple of fridges where you could keep your drinks/food cool and there was also a fridge with various drinks and we could just help ourselves and just make a note of what we had been drinking. I love this kind of trust based service.

The location of the hotel is pretty good. Located in Tamboerskloof it is located within the city bowl I guess and it only took me a about 10 minutes to walk down to e.g. Long Street and in this area you can find lots of restaurants.

All in all we were happy with our stay at An African Villa. We got very good personal service, the room was pleasant and the location was quite good. What more can you ask for? If I go to Cape Town again I will consider staying here again and I will not hesitate to recommend this place to family and friends who are traveling to Cape Town.
The room and our bed
The TV and desk
trippin_jen says:
Looks like a lovely place!
Posted on: Jun 11, 2014
Stev808 Stev808
A real Gem of a place Jul 15, 2011
Absolutely loved this little hotel. In fact it is more like staying at a friends house. A friends house that has wonderful rooms, beautiful decor and who cooks you a great breakfast every morning.

The location is excellent, away from the really touristy spots but close enough to walk to the trendy areas in which to eat and drink. The owners are very friendly and helpful with suggestions and making booking etc. I have since recommended this hotel to 3 friends who have visited cape town and they had nothing but praise also.
HBurden HBurden
Luxurious getaway in the Cape! Jan 29, 2010
Where do I start? It's mod meets Africa in all the best ways. From the moment you set foot in the door you feel at home. The hosts are vey accomadating and laid back. The rooms were large and comfortable with lovely amenities and unique features. The fully enclosed back dining patio with dip pool feel luxurious and intimate, perfect for summer morning breakfasts. It feels like visiting a favorite relative at their posh vacation getaway. I highly recommend booking your Cape Town stay here!

An African Villa Overview

This Villa is much more than that! It is in fact three houses which are part of a Victorian terrace dating from 1892. The double story houses have been joined together and so the inside spaces are much larger than the facade suggests. It's like walking into a TARDIS someone has written on Tripadvisor! There are 13 rooms and the hotel is owner managed. Location is vital when choosing a spot for you vacation and this more than a Villa is within an easy walk of all tourist attractions in the city area. The others (like the fabulous beaches) are a short taxi ride away. There is a small plunge pool in a peaceful courtyard where a very full breakfast is served in summer. (In winter there's a sociable dining room and an eco-friendly fire blazing). Your hosts are very careful to offer you as much information as you want and they will arrange car rental, restaurant reservations, tours etc. as required. Free internet on 2 computers in a library area and wireless access is available in all rooms. At night the night porter will set out complimentary sherry and port and at other times there is an honesty bar in the kitchen. Parking is on street and there is no charge (street guards patrol) but you should not need a car from this well placed hotel. This description is based on information provided by the hotel.

An African Villa Amenities

• Garden
  • Computer
  • Desk
  • Facsimile
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower