Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol Reviews

Andy99 Andy99
Schiphol Airport (AMS) Sep 27, 2014
Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (AMS) has to be one of the world's most well-known airports. It is a major intercontinental airport for European destinations. We arrived here at the start of our Benelux trip.

The airport is one of the world's oldest, dating to 1920. But, it has seen continuos upgrades and presents a very modern and efficient facility today. We arrived at the Pier D gates in the single, large, terminal. Good signage pointed the way to passport control and baggage claim. I noted that baggage handling appears to be contracted out to several companies. The baggage carousels identify both your flight and the company handling the baggage from it. (I suppose that is so you can go to their desk should there be any problem.)

The arrival hall is huge. Prominent are the railway ticket counters and train boarding gates. It's a large railway station within an airport. Thee are also many shops and restaurants here and they were open early in the morning.

Ground transportation options include trains and buses to Amsterdam and elsewhere. The NS railway information desk was well staffed to answer ground travel questions. Another option is the Amsterdam Airport Express buss (line 197) connecting every 15 minutes to to Museumplein and Leidseplein.
Schiphol Airport
Arrival concourse, Pier D
Arrival concourse, Pier D
Schiphol railway station
aloneinthecrowd says:
Congrats on your review being featured, Andy :)
cimtech says:
Congrats on your feature !
rsvpme says:
Congratulations on making feature review.
jenslemp jenslemp
Innovative transfer desk Jun 16, 2011
When my flight from Atlanta to Amsterdam was delayed by an hour and 45 minutes, I missed my flight to Kiev. Instead of making me wait in a line, their innovative software let me use a machine to print my 2 new boarding passes and it checked my luggage through to Kiev as well! I arrived less than 3 hrs after I was originally suppose to in Kiev and my luggage arrived with me. I wish more international airports had this efficient design.
92leeds 92leeds
Getting to Amsterdam city centre Aug 09, 2011
The cheapest way of getting from the airport to Amstredam city centre is by Train a one way ticket is less than 5 euro's and is at least 15 euro's cheaper than a taxi. The trains are every 15 minutes and take you to the main train station, were you can either walk to your hotel or catch a tram or Bus as the station is outside of the train station
JoeriNL JoeriNL
Huge airport with connections around the globe. Aug 20, 2010
Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (AMS)

Being one of the mainairports in Europe, Schiphol is massive, with over 43 million travellers in 2009, and having six runways. Unlike many other airports Schiphol has only one (huge) terminal building. Inside you'll find loads of shops, restaurants, bars, a casino, viewingdeck, even a small museum (Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam). The airport is home to (among others) KLM, Transavia, Martinair and serves as an important hub for Delta. All continents are served from here.

By car:

The airport is located in the Haarlemmermeer municipality, about 15km south of Amsterdam. Both freewat A4 and A9 are directly next to the airport. Parkings are widely available but don't come cheap. If possible take the train. Taxis are widely available but just too expensive.

Public transport:

Schiphol is one of the few big airports to have a trainstation on a mainline with trains running every few minutes to Amsterdam, The Hague, Rotterdam, Utrecht, but also Antwerp, Brussels, Paris, and Germany. Check prices on

The trip to Amsterdam Central takes less than 15 minutes. The station is located in a tunnel under the terminal, buy your tickets from the machines in the terminal above the station.

I've seen my share of airports, but despite the size I really like Schiphol. It's definitely not the cheapest place, but at least there's enough to see and do to kill some time, besides that everything for me has run smoothly every time I went there. For budget flight within Europe Schiphol isn't the best place, the main budgetcarrier visiting it is easyjet, other only fly to smaller airports like Eindhoven or the ones in Germany and Belgium.
KLM blue all over the place.
Me after returning from the US, an…
Easier to remember where you parke…
Africancrab Africanc…
This is Europe's favour in Travel Dec 30, 2008
Through the years I have traveled to and from Schiphol on many different airlines KLM and Lufthansa being my favorite airlines. I never took time to appreciate what goes on here because I was always in a hurry running close to missing a flight or just in time to make the boarding. It is a huge airport: Schiphol International is listed among the world's busiest airports and has managed to remain so for decades, on arrival I could not deny the fact. I must add that it has gotten bigger since I last transited through it. The information signs are very good, if you transfer from one gate to another it's not difficult to find your way but the walk is long between gates. If you have to wait a while for your next flight you don't need to get bored, they have great shops and restaurants. You'll find a nice variety of shops and you can pick up some nice little souvenirs from Holland, like a pair of cloggs which I regret not buying.
Africancrab says:
Yes I like this airport, of the many airports in Europe I think it raises the bar high.
bernard69 says:
I agree with u both:)
mcphistino says:
Schipol, I guess is my favourite airport! It really is such a great place with it's unique dutch design, all the shops, cinemas, hotels and easy to find and use railway stations! I always have the impression - that you go there for amusement and shopping...ah and by the way you might also take a flight there - but that's secondary :-) Thanks for sharing, Harriet.

Related Travel Blogs About Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Asia Trip 2009, Sydney Australia, Singapore, Singapore, Jakarta Indonesia and Bali Indonesia
Saturday April 4th,it is 08.30 as the taxi stops in front of my house, he is picking me up for my Asia trip, I am on my way to Amsterdam Schiphol Airport formy 11.30 flight Destination Sydney with a …Amsterdam Schiphol Airport formy 11.30 flight Destination Sydney with a stop in Singapore. A bit past 11.30 the airplane…
Schiphol Airport: Great Dutch Art and Odd Urinal Decals
We are in Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, which seems to be part airport and part shopping center. The only “duty free” purchase I have made is a big bag of  Haribo Goldbaren candies, which I ca…Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, which seems to be part airport and part shopping center. The only “duty free” purchase I have…
Open House new York - TWA Flight Center
John F. Kennedy International Airport, or in IATA code simply "JFK" is for the majority of (at least international) visitors to New York City the port of entry. It is one of the busiest airports in t…airports in the USA and the 16th in the world, two steps below Amsterdam Schiphol Airport ( source ). Long ago, New Jersey…

Check Amsterdam Hotel Deals