American Gothic House

300 American Gothic Street, Eldon, IA, USA

American Gothic House Eldon Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
Dress up like the paiting! Apr 28, 2012
The American Gothic House is the famous house in the background of Grant Wood's painting "American Gothic". The painting has been labeled as one of the most recognizable American paintings. Grant Wood was inspired by the Gothic window in a rural Iowa farmhouse.

Today, someone lives in that famous house, however there is a very nice visitor center and museum right next door. There are some very nice exhibits on the artist and and symbolism behind the painting. The best part is that you can dress up in costumes and strike a pose in front of the famous house.

When we arrived, we were greeted by a volunteer, who gave us some background information on the artist and painting. It was very interesting. We wandered around the 1-room exhibit, then donned the costumes and went outside for our photo. It was a ton of fun! The volunteer mistakenly called me "young man" so I got to hold the pitchfork :) They even exchanged my glasses for the painting glasses.

After the photo op, we came back inside and got some more photos, then browsed the gift shop. We really enjoyed visiting the with volunteers, as they knew a lot and were very eager to teach us.

Eldon, Iowa is not exactly on anyone's way to anywhere, but if you are remotely close, this is well worth a visit. It is very nicely done and free. I do encourage you drop something in the donation box though. It is a fun place to visit and shouldn't take more than an hour.
American Gothic House
"American Gothic" by Grant Wood
our version of "American Gothic"
American Gothic exhibit
Koralifix says:
Congrats on this feature, Alyssa! Nicely done once again!
monky says:
Congrats on the feature!:)
esterrene says:
SO cool!!! How did I not know of this?? :P Next time I'm in IA I am going to check this out. thanks for posting it :) and congrats on your feature

Check Eldon Hotel Deals