American Airlines

United States

American Airlines Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
They have some major problems Oct 07, 2012
We recently had the opportunity to fly American Airlines from Miami to Los Angeles. We had taken American Eagle, one of their short distance carriers with no problems at all, in fact three such flights. But on this flight the first delay appeared well before the flight was scheduled to take off, and was nearly an hour. After boarding and stowing our carryon luggage we sat and waited. Finally, the pilot came on the intercom and told us that due to a failed inspection we would be held until the repairs were completed and paperwork finished. I could see a worker drive up under the left wing and lift the back of his truck to where he could work on something on the underside of the wing. Apparently a screw was loose or missing and needed to be repaired or replaced. For the next two hours we heard from the pilot about every twenty minutes explaining about another screw or panel needed fixing. At least one passenger decided to deplane and find another flight. As the three hour delay mark passed we finally heard the engines start and the pilot reported that we would be leaving very shortly. It seems that three hours was a predetermined time.

The crew acted as if this was a normal and remained pleasant and tried to keep people as comfortable as possible. They even served small glasses of water twice during the delay.

Once off the ground the flight was normal and we flew a regular flight time from Miami to Los Angeles, where we arrived at close to 11:30 PM west coast time.

After touching down we were required to check with the Customer Guest Relations Office to rebook our connecting flights. It took nearly an hour with the number of other passengers having to do that just from our own flight. And for much of the time only one clerk was handling the problem. And rather than taking a room at a nearby hotel for the night and getting maybe two hours of sleep we opted to stay at the terminal and just find a quiet place to sit. They did give us a voucher for breakfast valued at $24. But eating at the airport is expensive even if it is only fast food.

I am sure that going through this kind of delay and hold up and having to wait another eight hours to get our next connecting flight has made me think I will not fly this airline again, and I am sure I am not the only one from my flight who thought the same thing.
Even before we boarded we knew it …
spocklogic says:
Bummer to start out a trip that way - My sympathies!
Posted on: Jan 22, 2013
cotton_foam says:
Too sad...congrats though for being featured!!
Posted on: Jan 21, 2013
mdalamers says:
Annoying indeed. In those cases I comfort myself with the thought that the airline also could have just let the plane go with all possible (horrific) results of a loose screw mid flight...
Congrats on the feature!