American Airlines (and US Immigration Form I94)

Nassau, Bahamas

American Airlines (and US Immigration Form I94) Nassau Reviews

alexchan alexchan
Beware of wrong information/action by airline staff Oct 11, 2008
I flew American Airlines from Boston to Miami, then connecting to their service Nassau.

The ground staff and crew seemed pretty disinterested in their work and their customers. While not outright rude, they certainly weren’t pleasant either.

Also, they seem to be poorly coordinated. We were bussed to the aircraft prior to it being ready for boarding ... so we stood on the bus for nearly an hour waiting for the plane to be cleaned and for the pilots to arrive.

Despite the delayed departure, Kim’s luggage didn’t make it on to the flight to Nassau. It was delivered to our hotel several hours later around midnight.

All that seems minor in comparison to the following gripe that I have, which could have seen me treated as an overstayer in the USA:

• While checking in at Boston, I noticed that my immigration card had not been removed from my passport ... the US does not have exit immigration counters and rely on airlines to remove these cards for processing.

• Fearing that an error would see me registering as an overstayer, I asked the check-in agent if it would be removed at some stage. She explained that it will stay in my passport as I’m returning to the USA in a couple of weeks.

• While in Miami on transit, I noticed that Kim (in a similar situation, but checked-in from Los Angeles) had his immigration card removed from his passport and it had been stapled onto his international boarding pass for Nassau.

• I approached the service desk at Nassau to resolve the inconsistency. The agent implied that it was my mistake ... he flipped over the immigration card to show me the fine print, very much with a “Can’t you read this?” attitude.

• Actually I had read the fine print and that’s the reason I enquired ... twice!

Wow! First they make a mistake that could have seen me being classified as an overstayer ... then they rudely blame it on me! While I haven’t flown that much with United, I do feel that United is certainly a cut above American Airlines.

Check Nassau Hotel Deals