Amelia Island Museum of History

ameliamuseum.org - (904) 261-7378

Amelia Island Museum of History Fernandina Beach Reviews

grandmar grandmar
Second Time the Charm May 09, 2017
The museum is housed in the old jail. We toured this museum with my sister and brother-in-law circa 2003 but I didn't get any good photos of it. Admission charge is $8.00 each

This time, I was not too impressed with the guide, who was a retired GYN and an AF vet. He concentrated on taking us through the sequence of the eight flags that flew over Amelia Island but he really didn't know that much outside of what the docent tour information had given him. There were three other couples with us. One from central FL. At least two of the other men were also vets.

The guide asked Bob if I had been a teacher. So I stopped asking questions or adding tidbits that I knew about the area. I am almost certain that our tour 15 years ago started upstairs (and my sister who did that tour with us confirmed it later), but none of the docents there have been there more than four years, so they do not know. The museum is very interesting, but it doesn't have a lot of things to take photos of that are relevant to what the docent was telling us. The lady's gown, for instance, was not mentioned at all and we did not get to visit the recreated jail cell.
Museum sign
Timucuan Village Chief
Timucuan Village
Recreation of Old Fernandina Villa…

Check Fernandina Beach Hotel Deals