Ambulant Cafe

18−31 1丁目, Roppongi, Japan

Ambulant Cafe Roppongi Reviews

lisa lisa
Jun 07, 2007
In the mega shopping development of Roppongi Hills, beside the megasize TV in front of TV Asahi headquarters, and across the street from the megaglitzy Louis Vuitton store there's a modest little van parked outside with a sign that says "COFFEE."

I was in the mood for something to sip while reading, but I was sick of Starbucks and I didn't feel like spending 700 yen on an iced tea at a cafe so I walked over curiously to the van to see what it was about. A young man came running into the van from the other side and welcomed me through the little counter window. I asked if he had nonfat milk, and he said no, so I got a mango smoothie instead. I guess that question is rare among the native Japanese, or maybe my accent was so bad, because he then asked, "...are you a traveler?" Well... yes and no. I'm Japanese by blood but American by nationality. "Oh, well your Japanese is very good." No.. my Japanese is pretty shameful for a nihonjin...

Anyways, I noticed a cutout of a magazine article pasted on his van that featured "Do you love your job?" There was a photo of him with his head sticking out of the van with a big smile on his face. We talked about jobs and how cool it was that he found something he loves doing. He was a very friendly guy and I could tell he really enjoyed his job and life in general. How awesome.

I walked away with my Japan sized mango smoothie (about 4 inches tall) feeling a slight high from that refreshing encounter.

It's not unusual to spend a day in Tokyo not making a single interaction in town. Even with thousands of people around you, everyone minds his/her own business, you can feel completely alone. That simple connection made me feel a little more human.

He makes the standard cafe items, including cappuccinos, americanos, teas, and smoothies all in his tiny van. For my smoothie, I thought he was going to pour me some ready-made frozen drink, but he started whizzing fresh fruit into a blender! My small smoothie was 390 yen, and coffee drinks start around 200 yen.

It turns out the young man also caters events! It's like having your own private barista! Hm, coffee party, anyone?

Check Roppongi Hotel Deals