Ambleside Backpackers - Hell from the Lakeside District

Check Ambleside Hotel Deals

Ambleside Backpackers - Hell from the Lakeside District Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Aug 18, 2005
I stayed here for 1 night, as part of Haggis Adventure's Full Monty tour for a night, and it was LIVING HELL.

We were a group of about 15. They conveniently pushed us to the dorm on the "top floor" which was more an attic with creaky wooden floors. This means that all we had to do was tiptoe across the room and the ppl downstairs would come and yell at us for walking too loudly. We couldn't crack a joke without having someone come up and tell us to stop shouting. The sound insulation was absolutely pants - some Asian ladies staying started singing at 5am in the morning (!!!) and that woke all of us up. It was like they were standing and singing right next to our beds.

There were only 2 toilets and 2 bathrooms for the 15 of us! Don't get me started on the "hot water" that one of the baths had. Thank God most of us decided to shower off the previous evening itself. What a queue there was even JUST to pee.

The breakfast again set new standards in gourmet tosh - lime marmalade and awful coffee. They were short of butter that day. Also there was some big family staying ( probably a family reunion) who were cooking a big lunch, which means raw meat, chicken, etc was strewn all over the breakfast room/kitchen while we were eating breakfast. It made the whole thing very unhygenic.

The nail in the coffin is that the rooms themselves don't have locks, and what's worse - there are no lockers either! So that means you either leave your valubles and pray you're lucky, OR you carry them with you. I being paranoid carried my digi camera, passport, etc with me in a bumbag to a discotheque, NOT a pretty situation!

The receptionist was RUDE, the owner was RUDER and the housekeeping lady appears DEAF to requests.

The beds were comfortable however. No complaints there.

Very disappointing experience overall. I've spoken to Radical Travels to choose Ambleside YHA from now on instead of this cheap place when they're coming to Ambleside. It's created SUCH a standard in 'bad backpacker hostel experience' that I was able to recall every minute of my stay there, and write this review a good 5 months after the actual ordeal!
Entrance of the hostel
Vikram says:
Laura - yep, absolutely LOVED Ambleside, simply gorgeous. We packed dinner at a chinese takeaway and sat by the lake, luved it!
Posted on: Dec 11, 2005
Laurabob says:
I hope you still enjoyed Ambleside though, even if the youth Hostel wasn't great. My Mum works for the Tourism office, so I will let her know your comments. There are loads of places to stay in Ambleside and the Lake District is amazingly beautiful- but I suppose I am biased as I live there! Happy Travelling
Posted on: Dec 11, 2005
holger says:
Must have really been hell. Thanks for warning us.
Posted on: Dec 09, 2005