Amber Fort

Amber Fort - Jeep in Amer village

Amber Fort Amer Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Options for getting to Amber Fort Oct 20, 2015
The most popular way to visit the fort is by ascending the hill on an elephant, but we were here at the time of the major Hindu festival, Saraswati Puja, and the elephants had been given a holiday. We were to see why when we arrived in the fort and saw the courtyard they normally occupy, Jaleb Chowk, taken over by the pilgrims. From a conversation overheard at our Jaipur hotel I gather that tourists who were disappointed by the lack of elephant rides at this time could choose to do one somewhere else nearby – although I guess that it wouldn’t be the same as arriving in a fort by this means. And in any case, there has been some criticism by animal welfare groups of the way in which elephants are kept and used here (poor housing conditions and abuse of the animals). Our tour company TransIndus doesn’t recommend tourists riding them to the fort and, much as I love the romantic idea, I would have followed their advice even had the option been open to us. As it was, it was a choice of a long hot uphill walk or a jeep. You can guess which I chose – especially as the jeep had been prepaid and included in our tour cost.

It’s quite a bumpy ride as you rattle upwards through the narrow streets of the small town of Amer that lies in the shadow of the fort, but an interesting one as you get glimpses of local life in passing. Don’t hope to take many photos though, as it’s more or less impossible to hold a camera still!

As I said, our jeep ride was prepaid by TransIndus, but according to Lonely Planet a return 4WD to the top and back costs 300 IR for up to five passengers, including waiting time of one hour. I don’t think though that an hour is long enough to see everything here so you may want to negotiate for longer.

Note too that if you too opt to ride up you will arrive at a different gate from those walking or taking an elephant – the Moon Gate (Chand Pol) rather than the Sun Gate (Suraj Pol). But both lead to the same point, the Jaleb Chowk.
Jeep in Amer village
Musician near jeep parking lot
Suraj Pol
View over the village
Toonsarah says:
Thanks Fergy - no way would I have walked up, but you know what my knees are like!!
planxty says:
Another excellently written tip Sarah, you have certainly been busy.

When I visited all those years ago, I did walk up there in the heat of the day. It is not something I would care to repeat at my age!
Toonsarah says:
Thanks :-) At current rates that's about £3.50 or $4.50 I think - not much for five people!
Posted on: Mar 26, 2017

Compare Jaipur Hotel Rates (9km away)

Amer Map