Ambarawa Railway Museum

Ambarawa, Indonesia

Ambarawa Railway Museum Reviews

yuness yuness
"THE OLD RAILWAY TRAIN at AMBARAWA" May 09, 2013
I woke up Early morning, because I want to go to Ambarawa, Central Java. For a one day trip to see the train museum, this will be for the second time. I must get the bus from the front of the hotel where I was staying , and go to the bus station terminal at Semarang, then I must change bus for Ambarawa, the Journey will only take 1 hour and 30 minutes , I paid IDR 15,000 / person .

When I Arrived in Ambarawa city I must continue my journey by small bus to the Museum. When I got there , I was amazed to see the sights at the Old Railway Museum , as at first sight the condition is not as I imagined it the first time I visited , it didn’t look like a tourist attraction the place was silent, invisible of people and the to my dismay even the entrance is locked . At first glance it looks empty and unfinished.

Feeling curious, I also tried to find the clerk or manager to ask for information about it. However I didn’t encounter anyone here. Finally, I took the initiative to ask some of the people living around the site, according to them, since a few months ago the Railway Museum has been closed. "Closure is only temporary, after a complete renovation will be open again," said one resident. Based on information from residents, Railway Museum is still under construction and renovation and the site is deliberately shut to the public until construction is completed. "All the entrance locks, no entry is allowed," said another resident.

Hearing this I was very disappointed of course, "I have come a long way from Jakarta to see this themed museum to be “closed " I have much inner disappointment. I can not force entry into the site to see the entire museum, But for a little treat from my disappointment, I can see some of locomotives carriages from the edge of the fence. Incidentally the fence is made of only small wire so I was able to see enough to some take pictures just for to accompany my story back when I’m home. One of the local residents then told me , " there is a small fence you might get in for a minute " he showed me as I followed his lead and sure enough there it was, even for my short legs it’s easy for me to jump the fence. I only want a few closer pictures of the several locomotives.

I looked around the yard of the museum, there are a lot of old locomotive parked in the vicinity, some still exist that can be used and others look to have been retired from any operation. A couple of the steam railway locomotives “ number B 2502 and B 2503” made by Maschinenfabriek Esslingen, until now can still run tourists on railway on activities, these locomotives were very famous in their day. It’s unfortunate that I could not ride aboard, but I was not necessarily disappointed because my main goal coming into this museum is really just to want to see the history of the railway in Indonesia and preserve and make record in pictures of these locomotives since the Dutch colonial era .

This place is very recommended for everyone who likes historical tours as an alternative to Indonesia’s natural attractions, maybe visitors can still take a tour by a steam lorry with a capacity of 15-20 passengers to be run - down railway tracks from Ambarawa -Tuntang - Ambarawa while enjoying the green nature while learning the history of the railway in Indonesia. This I did the first time I was here a few years ago.

Information about these train routes that use to serve tourists in Ambarawa was that trains would leave Ambarawa to Bedono and Tuntang. These trains usually only served the tourists when the numbers of tour participants reach a certain amount, or carriages could also be booked for groups to lease.

I think my intrusion of the site is now at an end because approaching me is a Security Guard who was not best please with me and he immediately told me to leave as this museum is currently under revision.”Ok” I said and I also asked “until when is the museum is closed " "I do not know " he said. So for those of you who had planned an excursion to the Railway Old Museum in Ambarawa, in the near future , I suggest that you postpone it until the renovation is completed. And not to “TRESPASS” like I did...:D
Zagnut66 says:
Good thing you weren't arrested, Yuyun!
cicie says:
Naik kereta api..tut..tut..hehe:)
rsvpme says:
Olden days gone by.....
Posted on: Apr 15, 2014

Compare Salatiga Hotel Rates (12.7km away)

Ambarawa Map