Amarillo Travel Guide

Browse 17 travel reviews, 15 travel blogs and 387 travel photos from real travelers to Amarillo.

Amarillo Locals

Ever Chris… Canda… Jarrod Jeremy Joshua A Tra…

Check Amarillo Hotel Deals

Amarillo Overview

Located in the middle of the Texas panhandle, Amarillo is a popular stop on Historic Route 66.

There's a wide range of activities to offer visitors and many are very family-friendly. Outdoor enthusiasts can explore Palo Duro Canyon State Park, one of America's largest canyons. Cultural activities abound in the form of museums and performing arts.

I am a Texan so I will tell you what most other travelers in Texas won't say, Amarillo stinks when you roll down your window or get out of your car. Your nose starts to wrinkle, your lips slightly open so you can breathe out of your mouth and it is generally followed by oh my god or other words. It is a cattle town, with 6 pig farms in various spots up wind from the city. There are several musuems, a little shopping, a couple of good steak houses, and some cars buried in dirt that you can paint on.

This is known as the "Car-henge", Texas' version of Stonehenge. One of the ranchers just west of town decided to bury nose down several old Cadillacs. That was back in the 60's I believe. On my last visit they were gold but the color changes often. There must be at least a half inch on added spray paint on each one now as everyone wants to add thier own colors.

Winters are pleasant, the summers it is hot.

Sorry to disagree as above knows much about Amerillo. I feel that Amerillo has bitter cold winters. I like Amarillo as things are laid back and not expensive like the larger cities. I allways stop at Amarillo to stock up on supplies and eat as I be on the way to Colorado.

Popular Nearby Destinations

Canyon This is a small town is abundant with parks, comunity sports, oriented enertainment, good food, a nice historical downtown. The schools are recognized among the best across the stat…
3travelers 1reviews 2blogs