Altstadt Vienna

Altstadt Vienna Rates and Deals

Altstadt Vienna Reviews

SpenCox SpenCox
Worth it. Jun 09, 2011
Overall a great value in Vienna. Its a little hard to find, but the location is just outside the ring and very convenient to the city sights. Hotel staff was very helpful throughout. Don't miss the excellent free breakfast, or the afternoon tea and snacks service.
LeighBR LeighBR
Bordello Inspired, Little Luxuries Nov 09, 2009
When we first walked into the Altstadt in Vienna, I wasn't sure if I would like it. It seemed kind of dingy and the elevator was incredebly slow. We were coming from another Altstadt hotel in another city which was really nice. The reception/front desk office, which is located on the second floor, was really small and very warm when we arrived. If you're arriving with a lot of luggage or a large party, best to leave the luggage outside and take turns checking in.

Once we had checked in, the concierge took us on a tour of the hotel's first (structure's second) floor. There are quite a few separate rooms designed to serve as dining rooms and one room that is considered the den/living room for guests. Large windows let in lots of natural light during the day in the living room. Guests seem to be quite comfortable here (I know our group was) and take advantage of the extras on offer here - newspapers, sofas, large, comfortable arm chairs, music, etc. Music is usually playing and requets can be made to play certain things. There is also a large flat screen and a piano. All rooms are used as dining rooms during breakfast. There is also a complimentary afternoon tea including cake. This hotel provides some really nice extras for guests.

After the tour, we opted to haul our luggage up to our room via the stairs instead of waiting for the painfully slow elevator. Luckily, we were assigned rooms on the second floor. I did not use the elevator once more during our stay.

I think the structure is quite old. I don't know the historical signifcance, but most building in Vienna have some history attached to them. It is very large and in addition to the hotel, tennants also call the building home. I'm not sure how many floors the hotel occupies.

You must use your room key to access the door leading to your floor and again to access your room. Entering the hallway of our floor, I immediately had a vision of The Shining. Seriously, it seemed like a scene from the book! Not scary, just eerie. It grows on you. Lots of reprinted, enlarged photographs of semi nude women adorn the walls. This in addition to the rich hues, wallpaper, and carpeting give the hotel the feel of an old bordello. It exudes sexuality.

Each room is unique. Our group stayed in three separate rooms. Each had its own colour scheme and while floor plans/layout were similar, they weren't cookie cutter. Lots of literature found in all of the rooms and plenty of art adorn the walls throughout the hotel. We all liked the fact that each room was uniquely individual.

The rooms are comfortable. Some are larger than others. The beds are nice. One wall had large floor to ceiling windows. The bathroom is large, too. The amenities provided are Provence brand. The bathroom also has heated floors, which was a really nice feature.

The area where the hotel is located is nice. The street isn't incredibly busy and the neighbourhood seems safe. While I don't know if I would consider the location great in relation to the popular attractions of the city and in comparison to other hotels, I think that it is convenient. There are lots of great places to eat located close by and the trams are easily accessible, too. I thought that the location was good and fairly centrally located within the city.

First impressions can mislead. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The rooms were comfortable. The staff was super friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was included and had lots of options. I would stay here again on a future trip to Vienna. I would also recommend this hotel to any traveler going to Vienna.
the hallway that reminded me of Th…
looking down the hall towards the …
the 'living room/den'
Koder Koder
Great value for Vienna Jul 21, 2008
As my good luck with hotels continued during my backpacking across Europe I yet again was pleasantly surprised by accommodation's in Vienna. This property is a relatively short walk from the downtown area, which in my opinion is without a doubt one of the most beautiful in all of Europe. The hotel is walkable from the train station, but it will take you the better part of 40 minutes so plan accordingly. The hotel is also undergoing some minor construction, but I can't say that I ever found myself affected by the noise. The hotel itself is an older property and with that I found it to be a very unique charm in comparison with some of the other places I crashed during my trip. I didn't really take advantage of any of the extras the hotel had to offer because the Circle area was a short walk away and it truly is breathtaking, even by Europe's standards. The staff was extra courteous during my stay and was always asking if there was anything they could do to make my experience better. Well, the answer was no and this is another property of which I would gladly call home during future travels to Vienna.

Also, there are a number of small restaurants on the walk into town as well as a few quaint pubs so at all costs avoid eating at any large chain.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jason

Altstadt Vienna Overview

The Altsdadt city hotel is situated in the 7th district of Vienna: the Spittelberg area, which is famous for its artistic flair. A metro station providing connections to the U3 network is within around 5 minutes' walk of the establishment and from there it is just a 10-minute journey into the heart of the Austrian capital, where guests will find a number of sights, including St. Stephan cathedral. Mariahilferstrasse - Vienna's main shopping street - can be reached in roughly 2 minutes on foot, whilst the Museumsquartier is around a 5-minute walk away. Vienna International Airport is approximately 20 km from the accommodation.

This city hotel is set in a Patrizier house, which dates back to 1902 and is an example of the so-called Ring-street style. The famous Otto E. Wiesenthal adapted the house to form this establishment in 1991. Renovated in 2009, it stands as a meeting point for artists, musicians and individual travellers and comprises a total of 42 guest rooms and suites spread across 5 storeys. The air-conditioned establishment welcomes its guests into a lobby with 24-hour reception and check-out service and a hotel safe. On-site facilities include lift access, a breakfast room and WLAN Internet access. Guests arriving by car can leave their vehicles in the nearby parking garage for a fee.

These guest rooms and suites are equipped with an en suite bathroom with a shower, bath and hairdryer, as well as with a radio, a TV, a minibar, a safe, individually regulated air conditioning and central heating. Additional facilities include satellite/cable TV and Internet access.

Altstadt Amenities

• Desk
  • Facsimile
  • Disabled Accessible Rooms
  • Massage
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower