Alpine Spa

Murren, Switzerland

Alpine Spa Murren Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Alpine Spa Mar 08, 2013
The Alpine Spa in Murren is attached to the sports centre, and it's very nice, but also very naked.

The spa has two kinds of sauna (the kind with a bucket and some coals, and the kind without), some steam rooms, a relaxing area (with free lemon or grapefruit flavoured water and dried fruits), a plunge pool and some foot baths. The facilities are very clean and very pleasant, and the saunas and steam rooms are at a perfect sort of temperature. The plunge pool was so icy I chickened out. It's a very calm, relaxing place all round, except that I am British, and the sauna areas are naked and open to men and women. I am not used to being naked in front of middle aged strangers, and it takes a little getting used to before I could drop my dressing gown and be cool with everyone seeing the lot. Of course people who are used to being naked in saunas simply don't care and aren't looking, but as mentioned, I do not come from a very naked culture. Even alone in the sauna with the other half, I had to fight not to just get the giggles.

You do get a nice fluffy dressing gown to wear in the relaxing areas, but all swimming costumes are strictly banned in the sauna areas. It's about 30 francs with a guest discount from one of the hotels, and a bit dearer for people up for the day. You also get to go down to the swimming pool and use the gym - you will be glad to hear that sensible swimming clothes are compulsory in the main pool where the children/big glass windows are, and that the gym is similarly fully clothed. I would actually recommend this to anyone, as once you get used to being all nekkid it's a really nice spa and you can spend as long as you want there, and it did help my dodge knee injury. There are also massage treatments available, but I didn't try those.

Check Murren Hotel Deals