Alma Porto Hostel

Check Porto Hotel Deals

Alma Porto Hostel Reviews

Isabelle_G Isabelle…
A hostel that looks like a palace Jan 25, 2013
Choosing a hostel for the last night of my trip was a bit easier than in Lisbon as I only needed accomodation for one night. I got in there late afternoon and had to leave early morning next day to catch my flight home. Again a lot of good hostels to chose from. This one was close to Batalha bus station so I picked it. Easy to find and a 15' walk from Batalha. The weather was really bad at the time though so I didn't spend time looking around much and didn't see anything from Porto except the airport, the hostel and a shopping mall. It was stormy weather with a lot of rain so I didn't stay long outside.

From the outside the hostel didn't look anything special, also the street it's on looked a bit sad with a lot of abandoned houses (not unsafe though). Once inside it was a different story though. The house is huge and looks amazing. One of the owners (2 brothers) checked me in and showed me around the house. It seems it used to be a jewel factory. It's got high ceilings and big rooms/ dorms. A big kitchen, a few bathrooms, living room, reading room. Everything super clean. And a backyard with a few trees but due to the horrible weather I wasn't able to check it out. I got a dorm for myself as the hostel only had 4 guests that night. 10 bed dorm but I got a bunk in a little separated room which felt very comfy and nice with a little light. The lockers were big and the bathroom was close by. The door didn't lock though but I don't think it was necessary. All valuables could be left inside the locker or at reception as one of the owners offered me to do. The living room was amazing with the high ceiling and windows. There was a big tv screen with a lot of dvds to chose from, also two big sofas and a guest pc. The hostel was a bit cold though as it was so humid and windy outside but I got an extra duvet for the night and slept like a log :) Next day I had to be up early so they fixed me breakfast (included in the rate) before I left. Coffee and tea, juice, bread, jam and fresh fruits. Coffee, tea and fruits for free all day long... free fruits! :) The staff were very nice and friendly, we talked a lot about Portugal's history and Porto.
Living room
Top of the house... rounded glass …
Staircase
Isabelle_G says:
I wasn't really a fan of the green walls in the living room but maybe it looks good in daylight and when it's summer.
Posted on: Jan 26, 2013
spocklogic says:
Some strange colors and decor, but nevertheless it seems more like a guesthouse than a hostel.
Posted on: Jan 26, 2013