All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club

020 8944 1066

All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club Wimbledon Reviews

HCSmooth66 HCSmooth…
Great for Tennis fans. Tour is really long Sep 04, 2009
A tour of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club was one of the things I had actually planned before I left for my trip. There is always something wonderful about watching the Wimbledon Championships on TV and I wanted to see the site where the matches are played.

I was very excited to walk up to the gate and see Centre Court in front of me with its brand new retractable roof. I walked in and paid my entrance, which was a bit steep and included a tour and access to the museum. I took 20 minutes to a half hour in the museum where I learned a few things about the history of the club, the history of the tournament, and the history of tennis. I was far more interested in the exhibits that were from my lifetime and enjoyed watching the highlights from the men's championship matches for the past 10+ years.

The tour started in the shadows of Centre Court, but wouldn't visit Centre Court until the very end. What I didn't realize at that point was that the end of the tour would be about 2 hours into the future. I felt like I was crawling through the grounds of the club, but I was able to see No. 1 Court, some of the side courts, and "Henman Hill" which offered a nice view in the distance of the London skyline.

The tour wound its way through the press area, the interview room, and finally into Centre Court. They don't allow you on the court, just in the stands. In fact, Centre Court and No. 1 Court are also the only courts that the members aren't allowed to play on. Used only for Wimbledon, Davis Cup, and in 2012 Olympic matches.

Finally, the tour I could've guided in about 30 minutes came to an end. After browsing around in the gift shop I departed realizing that much of my day was burned up in Wimbledon. Not a bad way to spend a morning/early afternoon, though.

Related Travel Blogs About All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club

London, the 2nd afternoon
My 2nd day in London started earlier than I had expected. I had no troubles sleeping in the hostel room with 3 other people, but I did wake up a time or two as others filtered out early in the morni…England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club, the location of the annual Wimbledon Championships. My tour was supposed to be at 11:00, but the time…

Compare Richmond Hotel Rates (5.9km away)

All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club Map