Ali's Ferringhi Guest House

Check Penang Hotel Deals

Ali's Ferringhi Guest House Penang Reviews

Aurora78 Aurora78
A charming guest house by the beach. Jun 04, 2010
Charming! That was the word that sprang to mind the moment I saw Ali’s Guest House. One look at the place and I fell in love. Located at the famous Penang beach, Batu Ferringhi, it is a traditional Malay house built in 1965 and converted to a guest house in 1975. The guest house still retains its original charm and managed to make me feel like I am home at my grandmother’s.

Once you walk into the reception area, on your left, there is an area where you can sit and watch TV/ DVD/ Astro (cable tv) or read books (there are rows of books here... mostly in Dutch). I’d call this the social area as you’d probably end up chatting with other travelers while taking a break from sightseeing or a day under the sun. There are computers available as well as Wi-Fi (if you have your laptop/net book with you).

Since there were 3 of us, we decided to take the triple room (1 queen bed, 1 single bed) which costs RM150 per room/ night. Once we paid the deposit, we were given 2 keys: 1 for the room and 1 for the gate. Why the gate? For security reason, the gate is locked at midnight. However, we were given the gate’s key so we could let ourselves in (just in case we are out late). Please… please DO NOT forgets to lock the gate back once you’re in.

Even though it’s a guest house, being a traditional Malaysian home, you are required to take your shoes off and leave it outside. No worries, there are shoes racks available. Once you’ve entered the hallway, there was an ironing board and iron made available for guests to use.

On the room, it was comfortable and clean. It comes with our own private bathroom cum toilet. The beds are soft and come with 2 pillows for each of us. Love that!

Oh … I almost forgot the most important part: The beach is just 5 meters from Ali's!!! To go to the beach, you have to go through the café –restaurant – bar. I spent most of my time here… gazing out at the sea, watched the sunset while sipping a cool, refreshing drink. The foods are not bad either. I especially like the prawn curry. Delicious!

NOTE 5/2/2011: Ali's Guest House burnt down not too long ago. :(
Aurora78 says:
Oh no!!! There goes history...
Posted on: Dec 27, 2010
WheresHelen says:
Only memories left now..... It's gone.
Posted on: Dec 26, 2010