Algarve

239 723 292

Algarve Reviews

claudinag claudinag
Affordable beatiful summer escapade in Europe Aug 04, 2008
Before comming to Spain, I have never heard of the Algarve in Portugal, and to be fair I wasn't even excited to go there, since I thought it will be like many of those sandless and overcrowded beaches, where you have to fight for getting a spot on the beach (i.e.you have to get up at 7 am in the morning and run to beach with your sun umbrella to get a decent spot)...So when we planned a minitrip for the weekend I wasnt really looking forward to do it.

We first travelled from madrid to huelva, a spanish town near the border with portugal, and in huelva we spent a whole day at the beach called punta umbria. The beaches are great, but the town is not so hot, and there is not so much sight seeing to do there. After being there for one day, we decided there was not so much to do, and took the road to Algarve, which is like 2 hour drive from the border with spain. When we first got there I was impressed by the beatiful beaches, and the almost crystalline waters of the sea. The town is composed of beatiful white houses with colorful flowers invading all over the place, its like being back in time. We rented a boat to took us on a 1-hour trip by the grouts, and this was the most enjoyable thing to do. If you have time I strongly recomend snorkeling on the beach, the water is very cold, but equally enjoyable.

The restaurants over the beach and the marina are great, you can have a very decent and nice meal, for 15 euros per person, which is a very good deal, giving the luxury of the place. The locals are also very friendly and you feel like you never want to leave and you must come back with more time to travel to all the little towns around the area, which the locals told me have more beatiful and un-explored beaches....
Algarve Map