Alfred's Ocean Palace

www.alfreds.com - (876) 957-4669

Alfred's Ocean Palace Negril Reviews

leah151 leah151
A popular Negril night spot if you don't have high standards Nov 09, 2007
Any search on-line of Alfred's in Negril will turn up rave reviews with declarations of it being the best night spot in Negril. Being that it's situated on Seven Mile Beach, one would think that could very well be true. I however, have to respectfully disagree. I'm certain that a place like Negril would have more to offer than this venue. Perhaps my opinion is skewed from years of attending some of the finest reggae festivals in production so coming to a club in Jamaica and being subjected to a live band that only does Bob Marley cover tunes was a severe disappointment. When in Jamaica, one might expect to hear something original and totally off-the-hook. That was certainly not the case here. Much respect to the man Bob, but I can pop in a CD any day and hear the original if I choose so I have no desire to hear someone doing a weak version of the original. The majority of the crowd seemed to be enjoying the performance nonetheless. My thought is that when you're from Iowa and have never seen the best and biggest Jamaican artists in one venue, a live cover band is going to seem pretty nifty.

The drinks were decent but very small for the price. The bartenders lacked any sort of charisma or enthusiasm whatsoever and within a half hour of our arriving, I decided that the $200 JA (or whatever it was) admission was hardly worth it. Staying at the hotel was suddenly seeming to be the better option. The only redeeming part to this visit was when the band took a break and the DJ started playing some good Jamaican dancehall tunes. This was the one part of the night that brought us some excitement because some local boys cleared a seating area and took the floor to show off the latest and greatest in dancehall moves. They were choreographed and coordinated and it was definitely the most exciting thing we'd seen that night. All eyes were turned on these guys and they were loving the attention and showing off accordingly. After all too short a time, the band resumed and the fun was over.

At this point, we made our way out to the front of the establishment and complimented the 'cool dancer boys' on their fly dance moves, which prompted a friendly discussion until it was time to call it a night. So, to the owner of Alfred's I'd like to advise, less cover bands and more dancehall boys! Check it out if you must and perhaps you'll be more impressed than I was but if you're a reggae/dancehall fan, the cover band probably won't do much for you either.
sylviandavid says:
Nice blog...bummer bar. too bad about the small drinks! sylvia
Posted on: Feb 28, 2008