Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park

3540 Thomasville Rd, Tallahassee, FL, USA

Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park Tallahassee Reviews

grandmar grandmar
Wheelchairs Available May 04, 2017
I decided to go to Maclay gardens which, based on their website which said that wheelchairs were available, I thought would be accessible for the scooter. The bloom season is January to April and I knew we were a bit out of that time frame and the house would not be open, but I thought it might be an interesting place to go. So with the phone giving us directions, we went to the gardens. The admission was $6.00 and the very cheerful lady at the booth gave us a brochure and directions. I didn't need a wheelchair, but if I had, I found that I would have had to call ahead as that building was not staffed in the off season.

We went down to the parking area and Bob got the scooter out. I was comfortable with my sweater, but Bob is cold. He expected unremitting heat, and it has been really cool and windy since we got to Florida. I did the brick (very jolty) path but the side areas - the little walled garden and the gazebo on the lake - all had steps. I couldn't even get to the reflecting pool. I took some photos. There were only a few flowers still in bloom.
Walled garden - with steps
Bob ahead of me on the path
One of the last magnolia blossoms
Brick pathway with Baltimore bricks