Alexander the Great

(713) 622-2778

Alexander the Great Houston Reviews

viajo viajo
Upscale Greek done right Aug 04, 2013
How could it be that I liked the Greek Feast for two, shared with a friend, but am still kicking myself for no being more adventurous and trying some of the other dishes that I saw whizzing by me en route to other tables? That's not like me. I don't know, but the answer may be that I just need to frequent this place more and begin true exploration of the Greek cuisine offered here. I will conquer all of Alexander the Great's offerings in due time.

I have to admit I do sometimes cringe when I see a review of a Chinese restaurant that only talks about the egg rolls or the fried rice. Now I'm going to be that guy. Well, I can't complain about the gyros, moussaka, pastitio, dolmades, spanakopita, tiropita, or keftedes. It was a lot of food - a true feast . . . and it hit the spot. The gyro meat was delicious. The flaky phyllo used for the spankopita and the tiropita was awesome. The moussaka had a nice blend of textures and tastes, but I may be biased toward egglplant dishes. Keftedes, pastitio, and dolmades were pedestrian to me.

This is a more upscale setting than some of the other Greek restaurants in town, though I wouldn't call it luxurious. In my mind, the amount of food brought out for the Feast justified the price we paid. I did notice a lot of relatively higher prices ($20-$30) for other dishes on the menu, but I don't know whether they are worth it or not. I hope to find out in the future.

I went on a Monday night when it was a little slow and had tremendous service from the time we were greeted to the time we left. Help with ordering, well-time refills, and just a feeling that they were honored to have us dining with them. I'm already looking at the menu online now for my next visit.

Check Houston Hotel Deals