Alcázar of Segovia

921 46 07 59

Alcázar of Segovia Reviews

Vikram Vikram
Think Arabic Spain meets Disneyworld in a Tuscany valley setting Oct 25, 2012
So, here we are.... another quaint Spanish city and another Alcazar. Whilst the one in Toledo is more of a royal fort with a very austere look, this has the look of a fairytale castle straight out of Disney.

The Alcázar started off as an Arab fort, which itself was built on a Roman fort but little of that structure remains. Throughout the Middle Ages, it was one of the favourite residences of the monarchs of the Kingdom of Castile and a key fortress in the defense of the kingdom, and is also attributed to the rise of Queen Isabella I of Castile. In addition, this Alcazar also served as a state prison.

I quite enjoyed the walk to the Alcazar through the very narrow roads, reminded me so much of places I'd seen in Italy. And as you approach the Alcazar, it's really straight out of a fairytale. The tiles and architecture are something I've never seen before.

You can buy tickets as a pair (one for the house, and for the tower) or individual. I went with the former. The house looks really very average, although I think my camera captured it a little bit better! I did like 1 room though with a lovely big mural,and a really nice ceiling with amazing Arab flavoured designs.

And then there's the really charming courtyard as well!

But what was really the most enchanting of it all were the views! It reminded me so much of Tuscany. I really didn't get a feel for the Spanish "countryside" when I was travelling by train, so this was a revelation. Plus, seeing it through those yellow tinted windows gave it that extra colour. There's the obligatory place of worship, a crowded and quite badly arranged artillery museum and rooms with colourful ceilings.

Climbing the tower was really ho-hum. The 'problem' with this Alcazar is that it's so crowded and touristy that it was suffocating and I was waiting to leave soon. There was a big group of school kids from the UK that were quite noisy as well, so that was an ear sore.

After about 1 hr, I left the place, saw the most incredible statue outside and continued on.

I'd overall recommend this place! This is quite brilliant in the sense it marries such disparate styles flawlessly. I was very impressed, and would push anyone to VISIT!
This shall remain one of my favour…
The Walt Disney style castle