Calle Unión, Toledo, Spain
Alcázar de Toledo - Inside the Alcazar

Alcázar de Toledo Reviews

Airpunk Airpunk
Alcázar de Toledo Jun 14, 2016
The Alcázar (castle) was turned into a military museum during the Franco government. This means that you can not see the Alcázar from inside without visiting the military museum. As I do not like exhibitions of arms, I opted to skip it and admire the structure from outside.

Its history goes back to the 3rd century when it was a Palace for a local Roma governor. Through alterations and expansions, it became a large fortress. Charles V (Charles I of Spain) ordered a major rebuilding program in 1537 which gave it today's appearance. However, the Alcázar was also destroyed several times, including in 1710 (during the War of Spanish succession) and 1936 (Spanish Civil War).

In the South of the Alcázar, there is the public library. Although you can enter it for free, there is no spot which allows you to see the interior of the old fortress. On the top floor of the library, there is a café which gives you a view over the old town. There are also exhibitions in the library, at the time of my visit it was about books in the time of Miguel de Cervantes.
Vikram Vikram
They'll grab your passport, but it's worth parting with it temporarily! Oct 22, 2012
So, this was the first time I was visiting an Alcazar in Spain. I'd always heard the word, I knew what it was, so it was nice to finally be in one.

Now, the Alcazar of this town isn't just a fancy building that you tour like you would a castle, but it houses a regional library and the Military Museum (Museo del Ejército). The "checkin" is quite complicated - when I asked for an audio guide, I was asked to provide my name, where I lived and she asked to hold my passport as well whilst I'm touring the museum! A bit OTT I thought, but whatever.

Left my bag in the locker, and started my way from the ground floor where there was an exhibition going on on the history of war, which started off with prehistoric man and the various stones he used for defence, and how it translated into modern weapons, and religious wars.

I found the layout a bit confusing, and it was a long, long walk. One of the most tiring museums I've been to. It has a collection of various things, not necessarily military weapons but anything related to military - which includes exhibitions on toy models of armies, uniforms and even letters sent to loved ones.

There are 3 levels in this museum that takes you various levels of the Alcazar, all of them leading up to the very shady quadrangle with a statue of some warrior. Photos are not allowed inside, but allowed in the quadrangle.

There were many sections that I enjoyed here. I have, historically enjoyed military related museums - whether it's the Imperial Museum in London or the Hopital Des Invalides in Paris. I don't necessarily think this came up to that ranking, but it was still a very enriching experience.
The Alcazar
Inside the Alcazar
Inside the Alcazar
westwind57 says:
Good review, Vikram. Detailed and I like your nuanced opinion on it at the end. That is something which is missing often in reviews, it's either good or bad... I think this really helps people taking a decision to see it or not. By the way, the passport procedure may well be to keep a couple of jobs in existence, rather than anything else :)
kyle81 says:
Intersting, I have never heard that word until now. 'Alcazar'. Yeah, I'd be a little nervous about giving up my passport as well. Hope I don't encounter that in Costa Rica....
rsvpme says: