Alcázar de Toledo

Calle Unión, Toledo, Spain
925 23 88 00

Alcázar de Toledo Reviews

Vikram Vikram
They'll grab your passport, but it's worth parting with it temporarily! Oct 22, 2012
So, this was the first time I was visiting an Alcazar in Spain. I'd always heard the word, I knew what it was, so it was nice to finally be in one.

Now, the Alcazar of this town isn't just a fancy building that you tour like you would a castle, but it houses a regional library and the Military Museum (Museo del Ejército). The "checkin" is quite complicated - when I asked for an audio guide, I was asked to provide my name, where I lived and she asked to hold my passport as well whilst I'm touring the museum! A bit OTT I thought, but whatever.

Left my bag in the locker, and started my way from the ground floor where there was an exhibition going on on the history of war, which started off with prehistoric man and the various stones he used for defence, and how it translated into modern weapons, and religious wars.

I found the layout a bit confusing, and it was a long, long walk. One of the most tiring museums I've been to. It has a collection of various things, not necessarily military weapons but anything related to military - which includes exhibitions on toy models of armies, uniforms and even letters sent to loved ones.

There are 3 levels in this museum that takes you various levels of the Alcazar, all of them leading up to the very shady quadrangle with a statue of some warrior. Photos are not allowed inside, but allowed in the quadrangle.

There were many sections that I enjoyed here. I have, historically enjoyed military related museums - whether it's the Imperial Museum in London or the Hopital Des Invalides in Paris. I don't necessarily think this came up to that ranking, but it was still a very enriching experience.
The Alcazar
Inside the Alcazar
Inside the Alcazar
westwind57 says:
Good review, Vikram. Detailed and I like your nuanced opinion on it at the end. That is something which is missing often in reviews, it's either good or bad... I think this really helps people taking a decision to see it or not. By the way, the passport procedure may well be to keep a couple of jobs in existence, rather than anything else :)
kyle81 says:
Intersting, I have never heard that word until now. 'Alcazar'. Yeah, I'd be a little nervous about giving up my passport as well. Hope I don't encounter that in Costa Rica....
rsvpme says: