Alcove Cafe & Bakery

1929 Hillhurst Ave, Los Angeles, CA, USA - (323) 644-0100

Alcove Cafe & Bakery Los Angeles Reviews

bubu932 bubu932
delicious Bakery! Oct 08, 2012
I went in Los Angeles for a weekend TB meet-up last September of 2012 and we are supposed having a lunch at Alcove Bakery with travbuddies from all over the World right after the hike at the Hollywood sign and by accident my friend and I lost the group so we heading to the Alcove early and when I get there I surprised, it was crazy busy on Friday Afternoon! My friend and I were luck that we find a spot to parking inside but some Travbuddies had to park a few blocks down because of all the cars that were there. Good thing they have ample seating out on the patio and on the side of the store as well and I quickly ordered table for about 15 people, the owner was very nice and found a nice spot for all my travbuddies friends!

Looking at the menu, we were unsure of what to get. Everything sounded yummy and they were all about the same price- $12-15. I wish they had a little bit more variety in their prices and had simpler dishes for a little less. But I guess they draw in enough people that keep the prices where they are at.

Even though there were so many people, we waited probably about 10 minutes in line to order, the girls working there are pretty nice, I felt very welcome. Food came pretty quickly and I was very happy with my dish; I ordered a Classic grilled chicken sandwiches with apple-wood smoked bacon and was yummy! Pretty creative, I've never had a Benedict like that before and it worked well with the rest of the dish. After lunch I order a chocolate cake and it's big, a perfect size to share with friends! was delicious, I would love go back to that place, very charming and nice, I recommended!
the Alcove bakery and big bar!
inside the Alvove
The cakes, I choose the chocolate!
inside the Alcove
bohemiaworld says:
its a good feeling to get the awards isnt it ? well you deserve it - i look forward to more from you ....
Posted on: Oct 12, 2012
bubu932 says:
YAY! I was not expect to have another award, and it really made me blush. I’m so happy when I can inspire people out there… thank you for the congratulating and smiles!You guys should try this place as well! cheers :)
Posted on: Oct 10, 2012
monky says:
Wow what a nice surprise to see this review featured Bruno well done enjoy it congratulations!! :)
Posted on: Oct 10, 2012
nathasha nathasha
Fantastic, Fresh and Friendly Apr 05, 2011
Tucked away in the hills of Los Feliz, Alcove is a hidden treasure of Los Angeles' east side, boasting an extensive and delicious menu filled with old favorites and new surprises. Offering breakfast, lunch, dinner and a full bar, the casual ambiance affords customers repose from an otherwise frenetic city. Coming from brunch on the weekend may put you face to face with a long line of hungry Angelenos, but it is worth the wait and rarely takes more than fifteen minutes to order, grab a table and have your food delivered.

Everything they offer is made from fresh, high quality produce and tastes as good as you never imagined it could. I'm a huge fan of their granola, chock full of hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, cranberries toasted and served with sliced banana, which is served with either yogurt or hot/cold milk of your choice. The prices may seem a bit high but I assure you the portions are enormous. Come with friends to try a variety of plates or stop here to enjoy a cup of coffee and a book in the tree-covered courtyard.
lisa lisa
Hyped! Mar 30, 2008
I've read a lot of reviews praising Alcove and how cute and yummy the place is, so I finally tried it and was sorely disappointed. The setting is cute: it's built in a house and there's a big patio out front with tables, but you can't enjoy all that when there are 30 people in line and the tables are crammed together.

Nevertheless, the line moved pretty quickly. I ordered the Fruit and Banana Crepe with Nutella. I was excited - you can't go wrong with fruit, crepes, and nutella right? Well, after waiting over 30 minutes for the food to arrive, I literally received a plate of 6 mini WONTON-like SKINS filled with just a dab of nutella and topped with a weird tangy smoothie mix on top. The crepe was made way too thick and chewy, it reminded me of dry mochi. It was disgusting.

The Caprese Omelette looked equally unappetizing. It was a giant egg omelette with nothing inside, topped with cubed tomatoes, a slab of mozzarella cheese, and a giant basil leaf on top like a garnish!! There was no marriage of flavors at all.

The only flavorful part of the meal was the rosemary potatoes.

Everything is overpriced. My crepe was $11.95 and the omelette was $10.95. Even a simple oatmeal is $7.95.

I could see how the charm of this cafe brings people here for social gatherings, but I wouldn't come back again based on my experience.
sybil says:
sorry your experience there was not so good. :(
Posted on: Apr 16, 2008
diegodlg says:
I couldn't agree with you more. My food wasn't disgusting but it wasn't great and I expect more when I pay more. Alcove is too expensive, too crowded, and the food is too average for anyone to really enjoy.
Posted on: Mar 31, 2008
sylviandavid says:
The prices seem high to me.... What a shame to pay so much for something disgustin.... sylvia
Posted on: Mar 30, 2008
Cafe Gone Gourmet!:P Mar 25, 2008
Alcove Cafe & Bakery is another gastronomic gem in Los Feliz, a neighborhood in Los Angeles whose "cool" factor seems to be shooting through the roof! I've lived in and around this area for most of my life and I can say wholeheartedly that the addition of Alcove Cafe & Bakery is definitely an improvement over the space's former life as a real estate office.

Intricate brickwork leads you away from the gray sidewalk though the front patio dining area. The front patio area has various sized tables shaded by burnt orange umbrellas. Other seating areas on the sides of the building have matching and mismatched patio furnishings that give the place a kitschy (in a good way) charm. Indoor seating is few and far between but since LA generally has great weather, dining outdoors here is a must! Alcove's dark wood tones and fresh flower arrangements gives the interior cafe space a gourmet look. Beneath their coffee bar is a refrigerator case filled with tempting cakes, pies, tarts, and pastries.

Gourmet...rightly so because the food served here is DELICIOUS!:P Alcove serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, and baked goods. In addition to coffee and tea, Alcove also has a decent wine and beer list.

Mar, Leanne, and I had breakfast here on an early Tuesday morning. You order your food at the coffee bar/cash register and they give you a number that you place at your table. The server then delivers your meal and utensils.

I ordered the Americana Panini...scrabbled eggs, aged cheddar, tomato, and your choice of meat (applewood smoked bacon, prosciutto, turkey sausage, or grilled chicken) on foccacia alongside rosemary potatoes. I chose bacon!

Mar ordered the Cobb Omelette...grilled chicken, applewood smoked bacon, Point Reyes blue cheese, tomato, and avocado with potatoes and toast.

Leanne ordered the Brioche French Toast with Vermont maple syrup, creme fraiche, and a compote/sauce of sliced bananas in orange juice and rum.

If reading this makes you salivate...then good because we were too! MMMM...BACON! Applewood Smoked Bacon...yummy! My panini was crisp even with sliced tomatoes in it. The bacon and cheddar was the best part...smoky and tangy. The rosemary potatoes were ok...I actually prefer a stronger rosemary flavor. Mar's omelette was great because of the bacon. Leanne French toast was fabulous and the best dish. The French toast was prepped and cooked well...the bread had just the right amount of egg/milk mix so as not to make the brioche soggy but rather moist and custard-like. The banana, OJ, rum sauce was a bit too tangy. You can never go wrong with maple syrup. Mixing the creme fraiche with the maple syrup was good...the creme fraiche off set the syrup's sweetness with a slight tang. Even the still water service is frou's self serve but you get a choice citrus fruit slices...lemon, lime, or blood orange. If this doesn't sound gourmet enough for you, the Village Gourmet...a fine foods, wine, and cheese right next door.

You betcha...I'm gonna eat here again!:P It's a good thing that I live a hop, skip, and a jump away from Alcove. Though it can be pricey, the portions are large and perfect for sharing and the ambiance was comforting and homey. The service was great and our food came out quick but its probably because its early morning on a Tuesday.

Be forewarned...Alcove Cafe & Bakery is a popular place...every time I've driven by it looked packed (isn't that a good thing?!?). So plan to go early...they open at 6 am everyday except Sunday when they open at 7 am. I will have to come back for lunch and baked goods. I think they recently started dinner service because their dinner menu is not uploaded on their website.

There is a small valet parking in back of the cafe. Finding street parking is another dilemma. There is metered parking along Hillhurst Ave. There is parking on Franklin Ave. but it is a busy street. Best bet is to find parking in the residential streets nearby like Clarissa Ave., Finley Ave., and Russell Ave...all within walking distance.
Mar and the Harvest Goddess
Cappuccino Chica!
Diggin' the vibe at Alcove
martinikitty13 says:
i love alcove! :)
Posted on: Jul 07, 2008
DragonFlies says:
looks like we will have to pay a visit!
Posted on: Mar 28, 2008
poohstanggt poohstan…
Hidden Potential May 19, 2008
We met some other TB'ers at the Alcove for a going away breakfast before we all went our separate ways after a long and crazy meet up weekend.

If you blink you may miss it which just increases its charm. It's a very small location housed in an old bungalow. It has a lot of patio seating and a few smaller tables inside. The weather over the weekend was perfect for sitting out and enjoying a quiet breakfast with friends.

They have a pretty expansive menu for such a small place and everything looked yummy on the menu. Although not inexpensive, I opted to try the Country Breakfast ($11.95). Two eggs, pancakes topped with strawberries and bananas, and applewood smoked bacon or chicken-apple sausage. Had to try the applewood smoked bacon! YUMMY!

They've got quite the coffee and tea options it appeared but since we were driving all day, I opted for my diet coke caffeine fix. Normally, I would've tried one of their coffee creations.

I could see how on weekends, this place might be hard to get in and out since you go inside to place your order at the coffee counter and they bring it out to you when the food is ready. There were only a couple people working and since you have to wait for your drink, I would bet it could get congested with the combination of people waiting for drinks and still trying to order. Add to that the yummy bakery items on display and I imagine weekends are hectic for them.

Although on the expensive side for breakfast, the food was delicious and it was a perfect setting for the group to hang out and quietly talk without feeling like you are out in the middle of everyone else and their business. We had a quiet area to ourselves and it was a really a great way to end a wonderful weekend together.

Our group had a mix of breakfast and lunch items but everything looked good and all the plates were cleaned, so I assume it was all yummy! :-) And I like that they serve breakfast until 2:30 on the weekdays and 4pm on the weekends! Big plus for a 'breakfast anytime' lover like me!

Watch for parking - on a weekend it could probably be hard but we had no issue getting a metered spot right across the street. There is a small valet lot in the back as well.
Welcome to Alcove Cafe and Bakery
My Country Breakfast ($11.95)
Jillian's omelette
Julz sandwich...forget which one t…
mellemel8 mellemel8
what a gem in LA. the cute cafe on hillhurst between 2 office buildings. it has a patio in front and indoor seating. it is a great place to go to have dessert or a snack.

my cuz, john picked me up from the airport. i was hungry. he took me here. i ordered the 3 sliders: mini kobe beef burger with wasabi aioli, mini bison burger with with smoked chipotle ketchup, and a mini lamb burger with olive tapenade and feta. $12.95

it's a bit pricey for what it is. you are paying for the ambiance and quality. i have not even talked about the cakes and such. i will go back for that coconut cake. it looks heavenly :)

i need to go back to try breakfast:

smoked salmon scramble 12.95

smoked salmon and caramelized onions scrambled with three eggs,topped with fresh goat cheese

breakfast burrito 10.95

three scrambled eggs, black beans, applewood smoked bacon, aged vermont cheddar, wrapped in a flour tortilla with fresh salsa, sour cream and seasonal fresh fruit (MINUS THE BACON)

breakfast quesadilla 10.95

grilled chicken breast, scrambled eggs, fresh spinach, aged vermont cheddar, monterey jack in a flour tortilla topped with avocado, fresh salsa, sour cream and seasonal fresh fruit on the side

smoked salmon quesadilla 12.95

smoked salmon, caramelized bermuda onions, scrambled eggs, fresh spinach, aged vermont cheddar in a flour tortilla with fresh salsa, sour cream and seasonal fresh fruit on the side

and lunch and dinner:

grilled steak salad 14.95

sliced filet mignon, point reyes bleu cheese, grilled tomatoes, caramelized onions, sauteed mushrooms and mixed baby greens with a fire roasted heirloom tomato vinaigrette

grilled salmon salad 12.95

fresh atlantic grilled salmon, sliced bermuda onion, tomato, cucumber and capers atop mixed baby greens with balsamic vinaigrette on the side

brie + apple panini 10.95

brie cheese, granny smith apples and caramelized onions

turkey pesto panini 10.95

sliced turkey breast, cave aged gruyere swiss, tomato and pesto

philly cheesesteak panini 10.95

shaved roast beef, caramelized onions, sauteed bell peppers and mushrooms, and jack cheese with au jus on the side
my sliders